16 Month Old Custom PC Crashed and Won't Power On

adotburr

Prominent
Dec 6, 2017
In the middle of playing a game my screen flickered twice and then powered down. The RGB on my mobo and ram stocks stayed on. Pressing my power button and reset button did nothing. I then tried the on/off switch on my psu. All of my rgb then turned off and stayed off.

The small red standby light continued to blink intermittently as did two small white leds on my gpu as long as the computer was plugged in and the psu was switched on. No error LED's are lit on the MOBO.

I removed the gpu and tried to boot without it, but that didn’t help either. I also installed a fresh CMOS battery, which also did not help.

I can hear a very faint noise like it’s trying to turn on each time the red standby led on my mobo lights up, but there is no other activity.

I have made no changes to my setup in over 8 months. The only thing I can possible think of is that the house has been very staticy lately due to the cold weather, although I have not opened my case in months.

Any advice? I’m not really even sure where to start at this point.

Specs:

Asus rog z270e

I7-7700k

Gskill 2x8 3200mhz

Asus rog strix gtx 1080

UPDATE:

I went out and bought a PSU tester today, and it appears my PSU is ok, assuming I used it correctly. I plugged in the 24 pin as well as the 8 pin for the CPU and did not receive any warning beeps and all voltages seem to be withing the tolerance. Additionally, when I powered on the PSU while connected to the tester, all of my fans powered on and started spinning, which I have not seen happen since the PC crashed. I have tested a few other PSU cables on the tester and all seem to be ok. The only cable that has given me a problem is the 8 pin (6+2) that powers my GPU (along with a 6 pin). When I plug the 8-pin for my GPU into the PSU tester along with the 24 pin ATX, nothing happens on the tester. Does not light up or make any noise. If I remove it, the tester comes on as do the fans in my computer. Nothing ever lights up on the MOBO (rgb) other than the blinking of the orange standby LED.

I haven't tested any of the other PSU connections other than those for the MOBO, so I'm going to fiddle around a bit more. At this point I'm not sure what else I should look at to diagnose this problem

PSU 'testers' generally test the PSU under no load whatsoever, so, although not worthless, are very close to that...

You can disconnect assorted power inputs to hard drives, drop down to one stick of RAM (test each alternately if needed)and even remove GPU entirely to remove that potential source of a short, and, see if the rig will now power on. If it won't, the next step will still need to be to try a known good PSU of sufficient wattage, whcih, given your GTX1080, I'd want a 600-650 watt unit.

adotburr

Prominent
Dec 6, 2017

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention that I have tested the system with only one stick of RAM, and have tried with both sticks. The only things that are connected to my PSU are fans/pump, GPU and MOBO. All of the HDD's are m.2 drives. I have tested the system with the GPU removed, which didn't help. However, since my PSU is fully modular, would it cause a problem if the GPU power cables were still connected on the PSU side only? (Although I'll test again to be sure.) Should I test the system with m.2 drives removed? Should I start to disconnect fans and see if that helps? My PSU is still under warranty, do you think I should start the RMA process? And finally, is there a chance the problem is on my MOBO or CPU?

you can completely remove the GPU, and hypothetically the rig should power on (if there are no other issues) and you can use integrated graphics if the GPU was/is the sole cause...

When rigs will not even power on, remove almost everything, drop to one stick of RAM, disconnect all drive power/sata cables, anything that could have shorted..including internal USB headers

You need a CPU, fan connected, single ram stick, and good power....

adotburr

Prominent
Dec 6, 2017

GPU is removed. Still no power or activity other than a slowly blinking orange standby light on MOBO.