160$ i5 4950 or 180$ i5 6500

Solution
If haswell build is cheaper and probably is since you have DDR3 ram already, go with i5 4950 then.. Performance difference between 4950 and 6500 is negligable just like between DDR3 and DDR4 ram in gaming

Proofy

Admirable
If haswell build is cheaper and probably is since you have DDR3 ram already, go with i5 4950 then.. Performance difference between 4950 and 6500 is negligable just like between DDR3 and DDR4 ram in gaming

Solution

Proofy

Admirable
Omg so many rookies on this forum wow. Haswell has 3.0 PCIe, what are you on dude ?

i3 6100 outperforming 4cores i5 6500? Ok, everybody buy i3, it's new gaming meta guys, especially for upcoming games that fully utilize 4 CORES, hell yeah :D

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED

Haswel has pcie 3.0 to the cpu link only not to the chipset the slots connected to the chipset are only pcie 2.0 . and the chipset is onnected to the cpu with DMI 2.0.

new skylake motherboards has both slots with pcie 3.0 link to cpu AND slots with pcie 3.0 to chipset and has DMI 3.0

dont call people rookies again .

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED

it is not 100$ difference actually it is 30$ only . thank you very much .

and it benefits when you want to add m2 card in PCIe 3.0 mode , or add a usb 3.1 card which you can never do in old haswell chipset , they need 4x pcie 3.0 slots.

have a nice day .

If you have to buy the motherboard anyways then I would advise paying the little bit more for skylake.

Between newer chipset, ddr4 memory, and the ports on the better motherboards (m2, usb 3.1/c, sata express) you are not getting much for the cost difference. If you were saving 40% going haswell over skylake then sure, but sounds like you will be saving 10-15% at best.

Proofy

Admirable
1) HE DOES NOT NEED M.2 SSD that's pricey as fu**. If he's going to be gaming he doesn't need SSD at all since SSD does not benefit to gaming. If he wants SSD he can buy SATA SSD which is cheaper and will offer amazing performance therefore he DOES NOT NEED DMI 3.0 hence no need for skylake motherboard/platform

2) He has DDR3 ram already, if he goes for skylake that would be $30.98 right away since that's cheaper 1x8GB DDR4 2133MHz ram. Add $20 from processor difference that's $50 already. Now compare prices of motherboards, I bet that H81M boards are a lot cheaper than H110M ones, add about $20-$30 saving more right there, that gets us to $90.

Thenewworldorder if your intention is gaming there's no logical sense to go for skylake and spend $90 more, where you will benefit negligable amount of fps buying i5 6500 compared to i5 4590

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED

DDR3 Skylake motherboards exist . it is still 30$ difference. actually combo DDR4/DDR3 also exist , the skylake is both DDR3 and DDR4 compatible .

Thanks .

Proofy

Admirable
Combo DDR3/DDR4 also costs money, not to argue, you do me your build of skylake with DDR3 yeah? And I will do mine, then let's see which one will be cheaper and for how much :)

I was looking at cheapest skylake motherboard with DDR4 and it costs $30, skylake with DDR3 cheapest costs $57.99 (Asus H110M-K D3). Double difference almost.

Also what you forgot to mention that not all DDR3 modules will work on the board, find QVL list before to check if his current ddr3 can work with that mobo