1600 memory compatabilty

Doody bag the great

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Will 1600 memory run on asus p8 h67 m pro motherboard. It lists 1333 as max supported speed. I don't mind if it runs at 1333 so long as I can use the 1600 modules and not wasted my money.

tlmck

Distinguished
As far as I can recall, a DDR3 motherboard will support any DDR3 module(assuming the brand is supported), but will only run that module up to the motherboard's max speed which in this case is 1333.

About the only trouble you might run into is if that DDR3 1600 is made to run at say 1.65v and the motherboard only supplies 1.5v. The ram may not like that and start throwing errors.

Worst case scenario is you try it, and if it does not boot or gives you errors, then you will know. It will not blow anything up. If it does cause errors initially, you might go into BIOS and do the ram settings manually instead of the auto setting. If that still does not work, then you have a problem.

Of course if either are a recent purchase and you have not used them, you might try exchanging one or the other. I know most all z68 motherboards will accept 1600 ram, and the store could always resell 1600 ram.

Doody bag the great

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Thanks for help, 1600 memory is being delivered soon, so I think I wil just not use and return to seller. I see that crucial and corsair memory compatibility checker both list 1600 as compatible, but the asus motherboard web site does not state 1600 supported, I should trust the asus information over memory checker sites?

tlmck

Distinguished
Once again, 1600 memory can run at the reduced 1333 speed just fine. Hence the memory makers saying it will work.

The main reason to run 1600 memory would be in overclocking the processor which you will not be doing with an h67 chip set. You would need a p67 or z68 for that.