[SOLVED] 1600MHz or 1333MHz

Jun 16, 2021
Hi
I have a Zeppelin 1333 4gb and a Kingston 1333 2gb installed on my pc.
I thought i need more ram so i asked a local hardware store he has a 1600MHz 4gb Kingston ram available.
considering that i live in a 3rd world country and its hard to find hardware should i buy that ram or should i find a 1333 so it matches my other two sticks? Does it even make any difference?

Mobo: Asus p8p67 le
Cpu: ci5 3570

Thanks for answering and im sorry for my bad English

Last edited:
Solution
When matching different RAMs, it's more like "when they work, they work and when they don't work, they don't".
If one is 1333mhz and the other is higher, the higher one will automatically downclock itself to match the other. But no guarantees if they'll work properly together.
Identical models have a higher chance of successful pairing but even with same identical sticks, it's not a sure-to-happen thing.
So, if you're buying a new RAM to pair it with the old, try to see if they work properly together before leaving the shop and tell them about it beforehand.

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
When matching different RAMs, it's more like "when they work, they work and when they don't work, they don't".
If one is 1333mhz and the other is higher, the higher one will automatically downclock itself to match the other. But no guarantees if they'll work properly together.
Identical models have a higher chance of successful pairing but even with same identical sticks, it's not a sure-to-happen thing.
So, if you're buying a new RAM to pair it with the old, try to see if they work properly together before leaving the shop and tell them about it beforehand.

Reactions: Lemmykl
Solution
The problem with this strategy is that mixing RAM sticks may not be obvious failure - sometimes it can only be found after prolonged tests which would not be possible at the shop. Sure, most often it just won't boot at all. But sometimes it seems to work but later turns out to be unstable.

OP, you would be trying to mix not 2, but 3 different sticks. That has even greater chance for failure. You would need to be lucky to make it work.