Question 1600mhz RAM reported as 1333mhz ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 4, 2021
Why would a DDR3 PC3-12800 1600mhz RAM module, that according to its' manufacturer's part number, that I looked up to be sure, is fully rated at 1600mhz without overclocking, only show as having a maximum speed rating of 1333mhz in UEFI?

It should be showing up as 1600mhz without having to enable XMP on my system. The other RAM modules in my machine that are rated at 1600mhz show as having a maximum speed of 1600mhz without XMP overclocking.

I would have inserted an image of the UEFI page detailing the above, but there is no straightforward and simple way to do it. You know... Like uploading it from my computer instead of having to upload it to another site and then upload it from there. ???

Are your ram sticks from the same matched kit?
Ram must be matched for proper operation.
If there is a ram issue, the motherboard bios will run at default speeds.
Run CPU-Z and look at the memory and spd tabs which will tell you what you actually have.

Dec 4, 2021
Are your ram sticks from the same matched kit?
Ram must be matched for proper operation.
If there is a ram issue, the motherboard bios will run at default speeds.
Run CPU-Z and look at the memory and spd tabs which will tell you what you actually have.

No, they are not from the same matched kit, but they are all DDR3-1600 / PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM 1.5v.
Two are Corsair- one 8gb and one 4gb. Two are Kingston- one 4gb and one 2gb.
From what I have found elsewhere, this should pose no compatibility problem as far as all being reported and clocked at 1600mhz without the need to enable XMP overclocking.
If it actually matters, it is an ASUS F2A85 board & AMD A10 6800k 4.1Ghz.

You are fortunate to be running at all.
Even two identical part numbers from the same batch can have problems if they are not from the same kit.

Then, also, amd is much more sensitive to ram compatibility, and I am not even certain that it can run in flex mode.

If your motherboard permits, enter the ram speed and timings yourself and increase the voltage above stock which is 1.5v. You can go perhaps as high as 1.65v.

Dec 4, 2021
You are fortunate to be running at all.

Really? Why would you say that?
As I previously stated; I have found out elsewhere that there is no problem using mixed brands and sizes of RAM. I also stated that the RAM in mine was all of the same specification. DDR3-1600 / PC3-12800 SDRAM 1.5v.
I have also found that different speeds can and will run when mixed. I have done this and they run at the speed of the slowest one. So, no problems there.
The RAM in my computer; Even though they are a mix of two different brands and sizes and are all DDR3-1600 / PC3-12800 SDRAM 1.5v, they run just fine and I have found elsewhere the reason why one or the other is reported as 1333mhz. I was just curious to find what kind of replies / solution I would get from here (from the forum and not just from you) and there wasn't a definitive one.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Why so defensive? People here need parts of the build to determine what compatibility is. If you're looking for advice would i suggest to take what people say here serious and answer questions asked.

An article to read already on page two i want you to read but might be good to read all of it.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ddr-dram-myths,4155-2.html

Good way to give system specs and a handy tool to keep an eye on temps ans such as well,

download hwinfo,
install and open it=click run,
close the top window which is the system summary,
in the main window at the left top click "save report",
at the bottom of the next window check "Summary for Clipboard",
after that you'll see what's in the pc,
copy by clicking "copy to clipboard" and rightclick+paste in your next respons

Last edited:
Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

Wolfshadw

Titan
Why is full system spec needed? I gave enough information and detail of the problem that a determination could possibly be made.

We request full system specifications in order to understand what components might be in play in an issue that you are experiencing. We ask for details because we're not sitting in front of the computer itself and must rely on you to provide the most accurate descriptions of your computer's components. This also helps us to not chase down the incorrect avenue of questioning.

Too many times, I've seen people who ask questions and people who answer them chase their own tails for days, if not weeks all because a user didn't provide that critical piece of information.

Case in point:
If it actually matters, it is an ASUS F2A85 board & AMD A10 6800k 4.1Ghz.
Because it actually does matter. WHICH ASUS F2A85 board?
ASUS F2A85-M
ASUS F2A85-V Pro
ASUS F2A85-M Pro

Details matter.

As for the RAM issue that another noted, mixing RAM only became a serious issue with the release of DDR4. With DDR3, you could (mostly) mix and match RAM and still have a functioning system.

Given your issues, I would download and run CPU-Z as another member suggested., I would then test each RAM module one at a time to verify (through CPU-Z) that each module is running at 1600MHz.

-Wolf sends

Dec 4, 2021
As for the RAM issue that another noted, mixing RAM only became a serious issue with the release of DDR4. With DDR3, you could (mostly) mix and match RAM and still have a functioning system.

Given your issues, I would download and run CPU-Z as another member suggested., I would then test each RAM module one at a time to verify (through CPU-Z) that each module is running at 1600MHz.

Which is why I mentioned that I had found that mixing DDR3 is of no real consequence.

I have the latest version of CPU-Z and do not trust it. Because I had the Corsair 8gb module in slot 1 and it was reported as PC3-10700 (667MHz) with the serial # CMY16GX3M2A1600C9 and when I moved it to slot #3 it reported it as PC3-12800 (800MHz) with the serial # CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10.

Which is why I mentioned that I had found that mixing DDR3 is of no real consequence.

I have the latest version of CPU-Z and do not trust it. Because I had the Corsair 8gb module in slot 1 and it was reported as PC3-10700 (667MHz) with the serial # CMY16GX3M2A1600C9 and when I moved it to slot #3 it reported it as PC3-12800 (800MHz) with the serial # CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10.
Double check what you are looking at, and if the discrepancy still exists, report it to CPU-Z so that they can fix it.

Really? Why would you say that?
This, is why he would say that. And he is 200% correct. Relevant information is in the second section, titled "The odd man out (Or mixed memory".

As I previously stated; I have found out elsewhere that there is no problem using mixed brands and sizes of RAM.

Then, you found out wrong, because there are OFTEN a NUMBER of problems with doing that and there are NEVER, EVER, any guarantees when you try using memory that did not ALL come together in a single kit, having been tested for compatibility at the factory AND even of more importance in most cases, was also found to be either on the memory manufacturers compatibility list for that specific motherboard OR on the motherboard manufacturer's QVL compatibility list. I hear a lot of people say what you say, and also say that these lists aren't necessary or accurate. And in some cases they do get lucky. Especially, and mostly only, if they are running at the default baseline JEDEC configurations, but much less often when running at the advertised kit speed and timings. In a lot of cases, not at all, not even with significant manual configuration.

To that I tell them, yes they are, and I've proven it over and over and over again, not to mention, if they were not necessary, then the people who make such decisions at the highest and at the technical levels of motherboard and memory manufacturers would never bother wasting the money on the extreme time investments required to validate memory kits as compatible on their own dime. These are people who are some of the most highly intelligent and well trained memory engineers in the world, and they'd never waste their own or anybody else's time if it wasn't important enough to do so.

As I've shown many times here, even memory with the same part number that did not come together at the same time and in the same kit, might have an entirely different composition, and in ways that make them inherently unlikely (Or at least LESS likely) to be compatible with each other OR compatible with the motherboard that the memory kit that originally had the part number was found to be compatible with.

And you can look at THAT information, here:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/amd-ram-compatibility.3210050/#post-19785792

So, at least as far as THOSE two assumptions go, you would be wise to unlearn much of what you've "learned" and start over, fresh, but AT LEAST considering that much of what you're being told here by others is in fact accurate advice and is more likely to get you further down the path towards the resolution you are seeking that by assuming that these people don't know what they are talking about. I can assure you, most of them very much know what they are talking about.

Last edited:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
And you found that where?
Apparently it's wrong because it's not working for you.

DDR3 memory was more forgiving yes but never a guarantee it will work when mixing a bunch like you are or even buying another stick of what you already have.

If you can't give information needed or are not willing to be bothered to post a screen shot because it takes 2 minutes, not really much we can do for you.

Don't take it the wrong way just the way it is nothing personal.

Actually, it kind of IS personal to some degree, because if a person, ANY person, can't be bothered to take two minutes to do this, why should they assume that others have two minutes to spare to try and help somebody who won't help themselves by providing the requested information.

Nobody, anywhere, is omniscient. We need information, often quite specific and in some cases, to the person asking anyhow, seeming not related (But is, which would be shown to be eventually if there were any cooperation in that regard), in order to even TRY and help them figure out their problem. When people come here with "I can't figure out what's going on but I already know everything so I have no idea why I'm asking you because none of you know what you are talking about" it really does nothing to make people inclined to help that person and everything to make them want to say go away. Fortunately, we generally don't do that and still try to help, but it sure makes it incredibly frustrating. Especially since 99% of the time what they "know" is wrong.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Which seems to indicate that either there is an issue with CPU-Z or the issue lies with your motherboard. So I will ask for the final time. Please list your complete system specifications in as much detail as you can.

-Wolf sends

Dec 4, 2021
Which seems to indicate that either there is an issue with CPU-Z or the issue lies with your motherboard. So I will ask for the final time. Please list your complete system specifications in as much detail as you can.

-Wolf sends
I'm not sure which it may be, but in the UEFI, this specific RAM module is always reported with the correct part number as it is on the module. CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10 .
CPU-Z changes the number to CMY16GX3M2A1600C9 .
But saying that, CPU-Z seems to change the number upon moving it to a different slot. ???

System is:
ASUS F2A85-M
AMD A10 6800k 4.1GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 2Gb
Corsair Vengeance 8Gb PC3-12800 1600MHz
Corsair Vengeance 4 Gb PC3-12800 1600MHz
Kingston HyperX Fury 4Gb PC3-12800 1600MHz
Kingston HyperX Fury 2Gb PC3-12800 1600MHz
Toshiba 1Tb 6.0 SATA Drive
HGST 750Gb 6.0 SATA Drive
Hitachi 360Gb 6.0 SATA Drive
Pioneer BD-ROM
Optiarc DVD-RW
Samsung SyncMaster Monitor
Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
Razer Death Adder Mouse
Corsair RM750 PSU
Windows 10 64bit Professional Edition

Wolfshadw

Titan
What I would do next is to test that suspect RAM module in each of the RAM slots, one at a time to see how it's reported in UEFI and CPU-Z. If the RAM module consistently reports as PC-10600, then the labeling is wrong and you have one RAM module that is DDR3-1333. This module would cause all the other RAM modules installed to run at the lower speed.

If the suspect RAM module only reports the discrepancy in the one RAM slot, then the issue is likely with that RAM slot on the motherboard. If not, then the issue is likely with CPU-Z (as you suspect).

Either way, as long as the system boots and runs, it's not that big of a deal. You're not going to be losing that much performance if your RAM is running at 1333MHz vs 1600MHz.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: WilliamV_1450
Dec 4, 2021
A changeup of the RAM in the system. Got 2 matched HYNIX 4Gb PC-3 12800 1600MHz modules and have installed them along with the Corsair 8Gb 1600MHz and the Kingston 4Gb 1600MHz.
Now a new anomaly has arisen with / between UEFI ~ CPU-Z.
All images are in sequential order as far as the slots that the RAM modules occupy.

DIMM A-1 = Slot 1
DIMM A-2 = Slot 2
DIMM B-1 = Slot 3
DIMM B-2 = Slot 4

See if you can spot the difference.

Spoiler at bottom of images.

tBfHwzm.jpg

spqPI0Y.jpg

Y025qCQ.jpg

ka6iiCU.jpg

H7GsW7C.jpg

50Ec9Im.jpg

U4oodXu.jpg

dsKOykI.jpg

UEFI is misreporting the Kingston module speed although it is physically a 1600MHz module.
CPU-Z is again misreporting the RAM speed of it AND the location of it and one of the HYNIX modules.

This thread seems to be a duplicate .

So once again here are basic ram rules.
  1. Do not mix ram makes
  2. Do not mix MHz rates as the lower will pull down the higher.
  3. Always use matched pairs.
  4. Never increase by 50% you should have 8,16,32,64,or 128.
  5. Turn on XMP even if you think you dont need to.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Just taking a stab at this here, but the Kingston RAM requires 1.65 volts whereas every other RAM module only requires 1.5 volts. Even though the QVL shows that 1.65 volt RAM is supported on your motherboard, my thinking is that since every other RAM module only requires 1.5 volts, that's all that the system is giving the Kingston RAM. Since it's not getting the full voltage required, it's running at the lower speed.

@MJS WARLORD - We are WELL past that in this thread.

-Wolf sends

Motherboard Manual Memory Configurations Pg 1-13

Reactions: Darkbreeze
Dec 4, 2021
This thread seems to be a duplicate .

So once again here are basic ram rules.
  1. Do not mix ram makes
  2. Do not mix MHz rates as the lower will pull down the higher.
  3. Always use matched pairs.
  4. Never increase by 50% you should have 8,16,32,64,or 128.
  5. Turn on XMP even if you think you dont need to.

Not a duplicate. Just more RAM anomalies and how UEFI and CPU-Z are reporting the RAM modules.

There are NO set in stone rules for RAM. Especially DDR3 which is more flexible and forgiving than DDR4 and it is DDR3 that is in use here.

1. RAM makes doesn't really matter as long as they are all the same spec. No matter what anyone says.
  2. This isn't about mixing MHz rates. Besides the point; These are ALL are the same MHz.
  3. Matched pairs IS better, but again; As long as all are the same spec, it doesn't matter.
  4. Exponential increases in the amount of RAM installed is also of no matter. If it was, processor and FSB speeds would follow this rule.
  5. XMP causes problems when used with RAM that is made to be clocked at the same speed that the XMS is forcing it to use.

Maybe stay on the topic of what the post is actually about. The misreporting by UEFI and CPU-Z.

Dec 4, 2021
Just taking a stab at this here, but the Kingston RAM requires 1.65 volts whereas every other RAM module only requires 1.5 volts. Even though the QVL shows that 1.65 volt RAM is supported on your motherboard, my thinking is that since every other RAM module only requires 1.5 volts, that's all that the system is giving the Kingston RAM. Since it's not getting the full voltage required, it's running at the lower speed.

@MJS WARLORD - We are WELL past that in this thread.

-Wolf sends

Motherboard Manual Memory Configurations Pg 1-13

When the Kingston module is in by itself, it will run at 1600MHz and at 1.5v.
It's the location and speed anomalies that have got me wondering what is wrong and where.

Wolfshadw

Titan
When the Kingston module is in by itself, it will run at 1600MHz and at 1.5v.

I'd have to see that, because everything I see from above tells me that only with XMP enabled and at 1.65 volts will it run at 1600Mhz.

It's the location and speed anomalies that have got me wondering what is wrong and where.

Not sure what location anomalies you're referring to.

-Wolf sends

Dec 4, 2021
I'd have to see that, because everything I see from above tells me that only with XMP enabled and at 1.65 volts will it run at 1600Mhz.

Not sure what location anomalies you're referring to.

-Wolf sends

After I post this, I will take all of the RAM out except the Kingston and run the system to UEFI and grab the screen and then post it. I am almost 100% positive that it is at normal - 1600Mhz at 1.5v.

The location anomalies are that in the UEFI, the Corsair 8Gb is is in slot 1, the Kingston 4Gb is in slot 2, then the Hynix are in 3 & 4.
Physically, all are located as reported by UEFI.
In CPU-Z, the Corsair 8Gb shows in slot 1, a Hynix 4Gb shows in slot two, the Kingston 4Gb shows in slot 3 and the other Hynix shows in slot 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.