Question 1600mhz RAM reported as 1333mhz ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 4, 2021
Why would a DDR3 PC3-12800 1600mhz RAM module, that according to its' manufacturer's part number, that I looked up to be sure, is fully rated at 1600mhz without overclocking, only show as having a maximum speed rating of 1333mhz in UEFI?

It should be showing up as 1600mhz without having to enable XMP on my system. The other RAM modules in my machine that are rated at 1600mhz show as having a maximum speed of 1600mhz without XMP overclocking.

I would have inserted an image of the UEFI page detailing the above, but there is no straightforward and simple way to do it. You know... Like uploading it from my computer instead of having to upload it to another site and then upload it from there. ???

Wolfshadw

Titan
The location anomalies are that in the UEFI, the Corsair 8Gb is is in slot 1, the Kingston 4Gb is in slot 2, then the Hynix are in 3 & 4.
Physically, all are located as reported by UEFI.
In CPU-Z, the Corsair 8Gb shows in slot 1, a Hynix 4Gb shows in slot two, the Kingston 4Gb shows in slot 3 and the other Hynix shows in slot 4.
Pretty sure that UEFI is reading the physical locations of the RAM slots (AABB) whereas CPU-Z is reading 1122
UEFI
Slot 1 - A1
Slot 2 - A2
Slot 3 - B1
Slot 4 - B2

CPU-Z
Slot 1 - A1
Slot 2 - B1
Slot 3 - A2
Slot 4 - B2

-Wolf sends

Dec 4, 2021
Pretty sure that UEFI is reading the physical locations of the RAM slots (AABB) whereas CPU-Z is reading 1122
UEFI
Slot 1 - A1
Slot 2 - A2
Slot 3 - B1
Slot 4 - B2

CPU-Z
Slot 1 - A1
Slot 2 - B1
Slot 3 - A2
Slot 4 - B2

-Wolf sends

Well, that makes sense and I didn't look at it that way.

You were correct about the Kingston and I stand corrected. I must have been thinking of a different module.
Still, if the RAM module is rated at 1600MHz without XMS, I don't get why it would need to be overclocked to run at its' designated speed.
Oh well...
I took the Kingston out and just have the Corsair 8Gb and the two Hynix 4Gb in now and it is running at 1600MHz. I'll just leave it at that until I can locate another Corsair 8Gb PC3-12800 1600MHz to match the other one.
Tired of fighting with it.
I guess you can close or delete this post and all the comments now if you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS