[SOLVED] 1600mhz ram running at only 1067mhz

GatiZ

Commendable
Apr 20, 2020
I know my system is a bit outdated but its the best i can do with my current motherboard. Anyways i have a ASRock h61m-vg3 mother board and a i7 3770, both support ram speed up to 1600 mhz but in the bios and multiple programs the ram speed is shown as 1067mhz. ive checked the bios and there is no option for any xmp profiles even though the motherboard manufacturer states that it supports xmp. and i have the latest bios update. And yes both ram sticks are 1600mhz. Thanks in advance.

Solution
I really have no idea since i hadn't really noticed it before.
I am out of ideas of what you can do. Basically there are 3 possible culprits:
  1. the motherboard (which is my hypothesis)
  2. both RAM sticks (unlikely, but not impossible)
  3. the CPU, which also contains the RAM controller (possible, as you do not know if the RAM ever functioned at a higher speed)

Anyway, the i7 3770 is still a very capable CPU for every day's work, even with memory at 1067mhz

GatiZ

Commendable
Apr 20, 2020
Are both sticks of ram from a kit or are they mixed and matched? You're on version 1.9 for your motherboard BIOS? Can you manually input the ram's frequency, voltage and timings in BIOS?
No its not a kit, one of them is from adata and the other is from crucial, the bios is updated to 1.9 and i can input all of those. but when i put the frequency to ddr3-1600mhz it just stays as ddr3-1066 and i noticed besides the set speed is a indicator of 1:4 like this: ddr3-1066mhz (1:4), but im not smart enough to understand what is that implying

In the page 48 it says that i can configure xmp profiles and change the ram frequency, but as i said when i change the frequency it doesnt change, i can put it to auto, 800mhz up to 1600mhz but that doesnt change anything, and there is no option for xmp.
OK. XMP has to be supported by the RAM sticks also. And mixing 2 different RAM models your chances of using a XMP profile (even if it is there in the RAM) are near to zero.
I bet this is the reason you do not have this option.
What are the exact references of the RAM ?

Last edited:

GatiZ

Commendable
Apr 20, 2020
OK. XMP has to be supported by the RAM sticks also. And mixing 2 different RAM models your chances of using a XMP profile (even if it is there in the RAM) are near to zero.
I bet this is the reason you do not have this option
ok then xmp is out of the question, but still doesnt really answer why isnt it running at full speed.Could it be a voltage difference?

ok then xmp is out of the question, but still doesnt really answer why isnt it running at full speed.Could it be a voltage difference?
There are sometimes compatibility problems between various RAM models. And than they decide that they can only run at the lowest common speed. Guess that is what happening now.
what are the exact part numbers of the sticks ?
Problem is not that much voltages, but latencies differences

Yeah my bad just updated
Weird. They have a at least 4 common JEDEC values.
What I would do:
  1. do a clear CMOS (eventually by removing the cell battery for 10 min after disconnecting the power cord)
  2. go in the bios and enter manually a speed of 1333 MHz and the timings 9 9 9 24 33. Corresponding to JEDEC 4 of the crucial and JEDEC 5 of the Adata (that is vanilla basic 1333 MHs DDR3)
And see what happens.

GatiZ

Commendable
Apr 20, 2020
And when I go to the QVL for your mobo, the biggest RAM sticks listed at the time were 8 GB at 1333 MHz. With your 8 Gb Adata stick, the bios could reach it's maximal possibilities by functioning only at a lower speed
https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H61M-VG3/index.asp#Memory

EDIT: my bad a Corsair model could function with 2 8 Gb sticks at 1866 MHz
So basically i did all that u suggested, changing all the values and reseting the bios, but it's still the same, the bios settings only save in the bios screen and don't change anything when launching windows. all the values in cpuz stay the same no matter what i change.

So basically i did all that u suggested, changing all the values and reseting the bios, but it's still the same, the bios settings only save in the bios screen and don't change anything when launching windows. all the values in cpuz stay the same no matter what i change.
And have you tried with only one RAM stick, just to see if it changes anything ?
And are you sure that the battery on the motherboard is still good ? are all your changes really recorded ? Does the Bios hold correct date / time /

GatiZ

Commendable
Apr 20, 2020
And have you tried with only one RAM stick, just to see if it changes anything ?
And are you sure that the battery on the motherboard is still good ? are all your changes really recorded ? Does the Bios hold correct date / time /
will try a single ram stick

GatiZ

Commendable
Apr 20, 2020
no matter which stick in which slot, it still auto adjusts the speed to 1066mhz and the bios still doesn't update anything i change. And the bios time and date seem to be ok.

I really have no idea since i hadn't really noticed it before.
  3. the CPU, which also contains the RAM controller (possible, as you do not know if the RAM ever functioned at a higher speed)

Anyway, the i7 3770 is still a very capable CPU for every day's work, even with memory at 1067mhz

Solution

GatiZ

Commendable
Apr 20, 2020
Yeah i was just thinking about any possible fps changes in-game.