1600Mhz to 2400Mhz help

Sep 28, 2018
I got 16gb of Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD8GX3M2A2400C11. I can't get them to run at 2400Mhz at all in BIOS nothing. I'm only getting 1600Mhz. can you help me please

Solution
You have an motherboard with xmp support or overclocking possibilties?

If yes, try to use overclocking software or in the bios update and enable xmp.
If no, try an different sysme if possible and try to set it on 2400mhz.

MLG_No_Scope

Respectable
May 23, 2017
You have an motherboard with xmp support or overclocking possibilties?

If yes, try to use overclocking software or in the bios update and enable xmp.
If no, try an different sysme if possible and try to set it on 2400mhz.

Solution
Sep 28, 2018
Hi in BIOS I change it to XMP and still getting 1600Mhz.
my specs are.
CPU i7 4790K.
Motherboard Maximus VI Formula Z87.
Ram Corsair Dominator Platinum 16gb 2400Mhz.
I put a friend ram in it is G.skill ddr3-2400Mhz 16gb and go to task manager and i get 2400Mhz. but put the corsair back and only get 1600Mhz. Why

MLG_No_Scope

Respectable
May 23, 2017
Sometimes Ram sticks have the reason to stay at 1600mhz. why is beyond my understanding

what i do know if you can try to reset the CMOS. that way you give your BIOS/UEFI a little reset and can reset the ram speed of the ram sticks.
You can clear the CMOS by the following methods.

Some motherboards have what we call a Jumper. these have 3 pins on the motherboard. all you need to do is to replace the pins from 1 and 2 -> 2 and 3.
Hold it in place for around 15 seconds.
Place the pins back to 1 and 2.

if you cannot find the jumper, means you need to look into the motherboard specs. if it still isn't telling it where it is, then there is no jumper, but dont worry.

there should also be an CMOS battery on the motherboard. these are round, flat and very small on the motherboard.
remove this battery and leave it out the motherboard for a minute.
reseat the battery back onto the motherboard and startup your pc.
the startup can take a very little while longer, so don't panic.

let me know for updates :)

XMP factory settings could be unstable for your specific configuration and thus your system reverts any changes in order to boot into your OS. If this is the case (and not like mentioned task manager is just reading a false frequency), you 'll have to manually adjust ram frequency and timings through BIOS. Use cpu-z to read xmp timings and tweak your timings in bios

Sep 28, 2018
Ok taking the battery out is a big job the hole motherboard has to come out the armer covers it.
and i think the jumper is under there too.
but I've got cpu-z but don't understand it.
I did Run test ( cmd ) and type ( wmic memorychip get speed ) 1600 ?

MLG_No_Scope

Respectable
May 23, 2017
Task manager isn't very good with speed. You can see you Dram Frequency is 1199.8.

Because DDR stands for Double Data Rate, You need to multiply the Dram Frequency by 2

1199.8 x 2 = 2399.6 ~= 2400

Your Ram is hitting the Speed of 2400Mhz

;)