1600x900 with SSAA vs 1080p

naqeeb_emeran

Reputable
Jun 21, 2014
Hi all, I've just gotten my new PC and i spent all the money on the actual pc rather than the screen. I still want to get other peripherals so im wanting to know whether it is worth it to get a 1080p screen or just keep my 1600x900 screen and use supersampling?

Build specs:
i5 4590
Powercolor R9 280X TurboDuo
8gigs ripjaw ram
1TB 7200rpm HDD
MSI H81 Mobo

Solution
2560 x 1440 and 4k are more video card intensive than 1920 x 1080. 4k is out for sure with a single card like that. I would think that 2560 x 1440 would still have performance issues.

I would guess on a 20inch screen your games look more than good enough with the advantage of being more easy on the video card. Unless you want a bigger or better screen(at that point you will be getting more resolution in most cases anyway.).

My bottom line would be if you are happy with it, keep it. If not, check out some screens in the store to see how they look in person.

ExKiller

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2015
your build is optimized for 1080p nicley but its important to buy periphreals too , if you haven't bought your Monitor yet go with the one 1080 but if you have a 1600x900 monitor let it be that way

Supersample can look great and was the standard AA for years, but it can not make up for a lack of pixels.

Now on paper this sounds like, get another screen, but it may not be the case.

Are you happy with your current setup?
How large is the screen?

Pixel density is one of those things that can make one screen look better than another(larger screens tend to have higher resolution). So a 1920 x 1080 32 inch screen will have larger pixels than a screen of the same resolution at 22 inches. These larger pixels may show edge jaggies more so screen size and your distance from the screen plays a role.

This pixel density can also work against you in some cases. If you have a screen that has a resolution of 1920 x 1080 and is 15 inch, things may look to small(but this is the direction we are heading in because the ppi/megapixel war of phones/tablets is spilling over to the computer side.). The all come down to personal preference and most operating systems can do some scaling(Windows is not quite at the top of its game in this department because it has lots of backwards compatibility.)

Are you waiting to see how 4k pans out? If so, it may be worth hanging onto what you have now.

You do gain some desktop space with a higher resolution screen as well. I do not find the internet is exactly ready for higher resolution screens yet as most websites still have empty space on the sides(or evenly placed to pad the site) even at only 1366 wide. This site has almost 500 pixels of space on the sides(of the content) on a 1920 x 1080 screen.

I am going to call personal preference on your display. You can not make extra pixels, but games can still look pretty good.

naqeeb_emeran

Reputable
Jun 21, 2014
well, my screen size is 20 inches. I must say that battlefield 4 at 150 percent SS and 16x AA does look very good. I havent seen how it looks on a 1080p screen with no SS though. If i were to get the 1080p screen i would look in the region of 22-24 inches. Will this make the PPI similar and therefore a waste of money? Should i rather just save up for 2k or maybe even 4k?

2560 x 1440 and 4k are more video card intensive than 1920 x 1080. 4k is out for sure with a single card like that. I would think that 2560 x 1440 would still have performance issues.

I would guess on a 20inch screen your games look more than good enough with the advantage of being more easy on the video card. Unless you want a bigger or better screen(at that point you will be getting more resolution in most cases anyway.).

My bottom line would be if you are happy with it, keep it. If not, check out some screens in the store to see how they look in person.

Solution