160gig seagate missing ~30 gigs after NTFS partition

hey there i recently set up my new comp with a seagate 160gig HD.
Anyways, after formatting it and everything, i only appear to have a
total of 132gigs according to windows and partition magic 7.
Any help? thanks

Either your motherboard's BIOS is older and will only recognize capacities
up to 137 GB. Or, you have not yet installed SP1 or 2 for XP, which is
necessary to recognize above 137 GB. Or both.

--
DaveW

"dangerice" <dangerice_@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> hey there i recently set up my new comp with a seagate 160gig HD.
> Anyways, after formatting it and everything, i only appear to have a
> total of 132gigs according to windows and partition magic 7.
> Any help? thanks

On Tue, 10 May 2005 22:32:14 +0000,
dangerice_@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (dangerice) wrote:

>hey there i recently set up my new comp with a seagate 160gig HD.
>Anyways, after formatting it and everything, i only appear to have a
>total of 132gigs according to windows and partition magic 7.
>Any help? thanks

The magic word is "enablebiglba".

Jarkka wrote:

> On Tue, 10 May 2005 22:32:14 +0000,
> dangerice_@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (dangerice) wrote:
>

>>hey there i recently set up my new comp with a seagate 160gig HD.
>>Anyways, after formatting it and everything, i only appear to have a
>>total of 132gigs according to windows and partition magic 7.
>>Any help? thanks
>

> The magic word is "enablebiglba".

You should set up the harddrive using the software that Seagate supply
with it, and not partition magic. This will allow you to go over the
132gig limitation.

Jonathan.

"Jonathan Oakley" <jonathan.oakleyNO@SPAMgmail.com> wrote in message
> Jarkka wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 10 May 2005 22:32:14 +0000,
> > dangerice_@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (dangerice) wrote:
> >

> >>hey there i recently set up my new comp with a seagate 160gig HD.
> >>Anyways, after formatting it and everything, i only appear to have a
> >>total of 132gigs according to windows and partition magic 7.
> >>Any help? thanks
> >

> > The magic word is "enablebiglba".
>
> You should set up the harddrive using the software that Seagate supply
> with it, and not partition magic. This will allow you to go over the
> 132gig limitation.
>
> Jonathan.

Partition Magic is fine for formating. See this link from seagate:

http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/faq/137_win2000.html

Terry Wilson wrote:
> "Jonathan Oakley" <jonathan.oakleyNO@SPAMgmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Jarkka wrote:

>>>The magic word is "enablebiglba".
>>
>>You should set up the harddrive using the software that Seagate supply
>>with it, and not partition magic. This will allow you to go over the
>>132gig limitation.
>>
>>Jonathan.
>

> Partition Magic is fine for formating. See this link from seagate:
>
> http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/faq/137_win2000.html

Maybe, I didn't read the details, and that link does refer to win 2000.
In my case, using win XP, I also installed a 160gig Seagate as a
secondary drive and just tried to partition and format it using
partition magic. It did not work. Multiple errors, bad partition etc. I
then read the manual (!) from Seagate and used their software as
recommended. It prompted me to enable the drive capacity to be greater
than 137 gig, to which I said yes, and then it worked fine. I use a
single 160 gig partition now. I have no idea what was installed (DDO or
BIOS setting?), but this was the solition for me.

Thanks,

Jonathan.

>>You should set up the harddrive using the software that Seagate supply
>>> with it, and not partition magic. This will allow you to go over the
>>> 132gig limitation.
>>>
>>> Jonathan.
>

> Partition Magic is fine for formating.

Partition Magic is great, except when it just sits there and
refuses to do anything. I had that happen when a couple of Linux
installations screwed up my second harddrive. I tried to reformat
it with Partition Magic. Nothing. It just gave me an error message
and refused to do anything. Older versions of the drive
manufacturer's utility floppy didn't work either, but when I
downloaded the latest version, it was able to handle the problem.

So, Partition Magic is wonderful software, except when it just
lies there like a dead fish, staring up at you.

"Jonathan Oakley" <jonathan.oakleyNO@SPAMgmail.com> kirjoitti viestissä
> Terry Wilson wrote:
> > "Jonathan Oakley" <jonathan.oakleyNO@SPAMgmail.com> wrote in message

> >>You should set up the harddrive using the software that Seagate supply
> >>with it, and not partition magic. This will allow you to go over the
> >>132gig limitation.
> >>
> >>Jonathan.
> >

> > Partition Magic is fine for formating. See this link from seagate:
> >
> > http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/faq/137_win2000.html
> >

> Maybe, I didn't read the details, and that link does refer to win 2000.
> In my case, using win XP, I also installed a 160gig Seagate as a
> secondary drive and just tried to partition and format it using
> partition magic. It did not work. Multiple errors, bad partition etc. I
> then read the manual (!) from Seagate and used their software as
> recommended. It prompted me to enable the drive capacity to be greater
> than 137 gig, to which I said yes, and then it worked fine. I use a
> single 160 gig partition now. I have no idea what was installed (DDO or
> BIOS setting?), but this was the solition for me.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jonathan.

It just makes a setting in the XP registry..

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

Thomas Wendell wrote:
> "Jonathan Oakley" <jonathan.oakleyNO@SPAMgmail.com> kirjoitti viestissä
>
>>Terry Wilson wrote:
>>
>>>"Jonathan Oakley" <jonathan.oakleyNO@SPAMgmail.com> wrote in message

>>>Partition Magic is fine for formating. See this link from seagate:
>>>
>>>http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/faq/137_win2000.html
>>>

>>Maybe, I didn't read the details, and that link does refer to win 2000.
>>In my case, using win XP, I also installed a 160gig Seagate as a
>>secondary drive and just tried to partition and format it using
>>partition magic. It did not work. Multiple errors, bad partition etc. I
>>then read the manual (!) from Seagate and used their software as
>>recommended. It prompted me to enable the drive capacity to be greater
>>than 137 gig, to which I said yes, and then it worked fine. I use a
>>single 160 gig partition now. I have no idea what was installed (DDO or
>>BIOS setting?), but this was the solition for me.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Jonathan.
>

> It just makes a setting in the XP registry..

Ah, thanks for the information! Partition magic must have missed that
then...

Jonathan Oakley wrote:
> Thomas Wendell wrote:
>
>> "Jonathan Oakley" <jonathan.oakleyNO@SPAMgmail.com> kirjoitti viestissä

>>> Maybe, I didn't read the details, and that link does refer to win 2000.
>>> In my case, using win XP, I also installed a 160gig Seagate as a
>>> secondary drive and just tried to partition and format it using
>>> partition magic. It did not work. Multiple errors, bad partition etc. I
>>> then read the manual (!) from Seagate and used their software as
>>> recommended. It prompted me to enable the drive capacity to be greater
>>> than 137 gig, to which I said yes, and then it worked fine. I use a
>>> single 160 gig partition now. I have no idea what was installed (DDO or
>>> BIOS setting?), but this was the solition for me.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Jonathan.
>>

>> It just makes a setting in the XP registry..
>>

> Ah, thanks for the information! Partition magic must have missed that
> then...

Except that information is incorrect, according to Seagate's documentation.

They don't make any 'changes' to XP. If you have a capacity problem their
instructions tell you to install SP1, which is the first service pack that
supports 48-bit LBA.

As for their Discwizard software, there is no 'BIOS setting' it can do as
the BIOS either supports 48 bit LBA or it doesn't. What it does is check
the BIOS for 48 bit LBA support and then, if it isn't 48 bit LBA, puts a
Dynamic Drive Overlay (DDO), a BIOS 'replacement' for the IDE handler, on
the boot drive so this new BIOS IDE handler gets loaded when the system boots.

If you want to know more about partition problems and their solutions
and programming related issues, you can find the Book Contents ("Data
Recovery with & without Programming") on following link:

http://www.datadoctor.biz/author.htm

regards

Sachin

And I thougth that it only adds
"HKLM/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Services/atapi/Parameters" the parameter
EnableBigLba with the value 1
(of course to all ControlSets)

--

Thomas Wendell wrote:

> And I thougth that it only adds
> "HKLM/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Services/atapi/Parameters" the parameter
> EnableBigLba with the value 1
> (of course to all ControlSets)

http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/capacity/137/bios.html#ddo

Setup the drives again using DiscWizard Starter Edition. This will
determine if a Dynamic Drive Overlay (DDO) is required to overcome a BIOS
limitation, and apply the DDO automatically if it is needed.

For specific instructions, please see our How To Use DiscWizard Starter
Edition page.
..
..
..
Once you have confirmed your BIOS will support a drive larger than 137 GB
then continue on to update your operating system with support for these drives.

Choose your operating system:

Windows XP
..
..
..
Before performing any troubleshooting with large capacity drives in Windows
XP, confirm that you have Service Pack 1 or higher. Without this service
pack it is unsafe to operate a large capacity ATA drive in Windows XP.
..
..
..
If it does not say "Service Pack 1" or greater, an upgrade is required to
support drives larger than 137GB.
..
..
..

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-xp,alt.os.windows.xp (More info?)

I just had the same problem yesterday with a computer I recently
purchased. Here's how to solve the problem with the method I used:

1. Install a second hard drive in the computer that can be reformatted.

2. Download the free trial of Acronis True Image 8.0 at:
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/download/

3. Using Acronis, clone a copy of the 160 Gb hard drive to the second
hard drive.

4. Change the BIOS so that your computer will boot with the second hard
drive.

5. Using Western Digital's disk manager (Seagate's might work also)
reformat the 160 Gb hard drive.

6. Using Acronis clone a copy of the second hard drive back onto your
160 GB hard drive.

7. Change the BIOS back so that it boots on the 160 Gb hard drive.

My understanding is that you have to have XP service pack 1 installed
for this to work. I actually had service pack 2 installed when I did
this.