[SOLVED] 1620v2 power consumption? And pc budget build help.

Oct 27, 2020
Hi I’m trying get a gaming pc on a tight budget, so I decided that I might go with a Xeon cpu, but I seen that the 1620 v2 has high power consumption and will up the bill a bit. Can someone confirm on this and if you would have any other recommendations for a cpu then please lmk. Thank you .

Solution
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...-processor-e5-1620-v2-10m-cache-3-70-ghz.html
looks decent enough.
the 130 watts is overly outrageous. My old Anthalon x2 6000+ was right up there at 125 watts,

You would need a bit more PSU and cooling than you otherwise would for a low power CPU, but no big deal. Most people have too much cooling and PSU for their needs anyways. If you had a 130watt CPU and a 65 watt CPU with the same cooling, I would assume the 130watt watt CPU would have twice the delta above ambient temperature. so in a 20C room, both running at 100%, if the 65watt was running 40C, I would assume the 130watt would run 60C. now the fact that the hotter chip is probably the more powerful...

groo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...-processor-e5-1620-v2-10m-cache-3-70-ghz.html
looks decent enough.
the 130 watts is overly outrageous. My old Anthalon x2 6000+ was right up there at 125 watts,

You would need a bit more PSU and cooling than you otherwise would for a low power CPU, but no big deal. Most people have too much cooling and PSU for their needs anyways. If you had a 130watt CPU and a 65 watt CPU with the same cooling, I would assume the 130watt watt CPU would have twice the delta above ambient temperature. so in a 20C room, both running at 100%, if the 65watt was running 40C, I would assume the 130watt would run 60C. now the fact that the hotter chip is probably the more powerful chip, it probably wouldn't be at 100% doing the same task as the cooler chip, and fans ramp up with higher temperatures, so you'd probably be looking at 50C, these are wild guess numbers,. just trying to show what might be reasonable to expect.

I have no idea what FCLGA2011 CPUs are good deals or anything bout 2011 really. I've looked Xeons for my 1150 board. Those Xeons lack on-chip graphics. That could make them a good deal for gamers. The prices on the used market a a bit off compared the the i5/i7 series chips definitely.

Last edited:
Solution

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Hi I’m trying get a gaming pc on a tight budget, so I decided that I might go with a Xeon cpu, but I seen that the 1620 v2 has high power consumption and will up the bill a bit. Can someone confirm on this and if you would have any other recommendations for a cpu then please lmk. Thank you .

Maybe give us your budget and where you're located (country) and we can help you with a build. Its VERY rare that a Xeon CPU is a good choice over whatever consumer parts we can find for the same budget. Especially a used 7 year old one.

groo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
Not current models. And anything similar doesn't have an iGPU. And the ones priced similarly are lower clocked.

It hasn't been since 4th gen processors that Xeon's were a value alternative.
Well, I was looking at 4th gen, so I won't argue with you. No matter what performance level you are looking, price all the options open to you.

idkwhattonamethisacc

Great
BANNED
Oct 31, 2020
I would go for an lga 1156 xeon build if i were you since those things are pretty cheap, i would reccomend the x3440, 50 and 70 for cpu, and those can also be overclocked using baseclock as well, if you want more futureproofing then get an e5 2678 v3 because it supports ddr3 and you can also turbo unlock it (make all cores run at full turbo speed), those are my reccomendations

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I would go for an lga 1156 xeon build if i were you since those things are pretty cheap, i would reccomend the x3440, 50 and 70 for cpu, and those can also be overclocked using baseclock as well, if you want more futureproofing then get an e5 2678 v3 because it supports ddr3 and you can also turbo unlock it (make all cores run at full turbo speed), those are my reccomendations

A 9+ year obsolete socket and DDR 3 Ram and the words "future proof" should not be used in the same sentence.

We need to know both his budget and the games he is hoping to play before making recommendations. He still has not yet replied to that query.

Yeah he needs to tell what kind of performance hes trying to get before we can really suggest anything, old xeons are not a joke still if you find a good deal.

1. Lynnfield cpu (Nehalem architechture 1st gen intel) or Socket 1156. These offer up to 4 core 8 thread processsors like i7-870 or for example cheaper options which still work and are overclockable like x3440 or x3470. With these you need to get from 2.5-2.9ghz to atleast 4.0ghz to get "decent" performance for 1080p. These are still the best cpu for value you can find anywhere, x3440 is about 8 dollars including shipping worldwide from aliexpress, however x3440 is locked to 19x multiplier which makes overclocking harder and you need to hit way higher BLCK to reach 4ghz or over, X3470 has more overclocking abilities since you can go higher multiplier but its way more expensive ( 25$ shipped). For a motherboard i suggest used Asus P7P55D or its variants, this will get you well over 4ghz with good power supply. There are other good motherboards aswell but these are most available.
Maximum suggested GPU (if your running stock speed on cpu) gtx 960 / 970 or 1050ti. Overclocked to 4.2ghz you can max out gtx 1060, gtx 980 and 1660. Total price for motherboard + cpu + ram would be about 50-60euros or dollars.

2. Westmere xeons X58 (LGA 1366 socket) platform, these are slightly newer processors but still ancient, good deal would be something like x5675 processor (6 cores 12 threads) with asus p6x58d-e motherboard. You can reach even 4.4-4.6ghz on these with good cooling. Processor prices from 10 to 40$ shipped. Motherboards can be quite expensive even used. I got decent deal on x5675 + asus p6x58d-e and 3x4gb ddr3 1866mhz ram for 100 euros total. Chipset supports triple channel ram , so best way is to run 3 ram sticks instead of 2 or 4 like in dual channel. There are many other good processors for LGA 1366 you need to read into it, overclocking can be more time consuming on these, max multipliers and clock speed will wary depeninding on the processor you pick. Maximum GPU suggested i would say your fine with 980ti, 1070 / 1070ti , 2060. Maybe even 2060 super if you get cpu running 4.5ghz.
A good deal would be around 100 dollar / euro for ram+motherboard+cpu.

3. Ivy bridge x79 , Everything until this point was really cheap but if you decide to go with this platform instead of E5-1620 v2 which is 4 core 8 thread processor you should be looking more into E5-1650 v2 (this has 6 core 12 threads ) or even E5-1680 v2 (8 core 16 threads) since performance increase is huge, these all are FULLY overclockable. You can look differences here : https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Xeon/Intel-Xeon E5-1680 v2.html , But E5-2000- series cpu:s are not fully unlockable , you can only unlock turbo which is NOT all cores, i suggest going for E5-16** cpu, ONLY versions v1-3 , the v4 is LOCKED. So E5-1600 series with V1 V2 or V3 if you plan on buying one of these. An E5-1650 v2 overclocked to 4.5 or 4.6ghz is same as i9-9900k running on stock speeds performance wise.
For GPU recommendation you can pretty much max out everything but some of the 3000 series cards or 2080ti with this one, depending if you overclock (just compare to i9-9900k stock).
Good youtube which compares x79 to newer cpu:s :
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYxQ82wcA_s

Last edited:
In my opinion:

Avoid anything older than sandy bridge, so avoid 1366 and 1156. You can still get alright performance when overclocked, but overall they are very underwhelming performance wise. Plus they are so old they lack many features I have come to expect any more. UEFI support for example, which is required for some new GPUs to even work.

The 1620v2 is basically an i7 3770k but on LGA2011 instead of LGA1155, plus it has some workstation features. Its not going to be efficient, but not tooo bad.

Honestly given used prices I would not reccomend them vs entry level new CPUs.