Solution
A lot of these problems are solved by running the program as administrator, but there are some cases that even this does not help. It happens with my laptop too, and if you go into individual program settings in the nvidia control panel you can change it to the dedicated gpu. Even though some games may still list it as using your integrated cpu graphics, you will notice that you are running at the performance of your dedicated gpu.

If this fix does not work, there is a command prompt you can input in order to make the games use your dedicated gpu (i prefer not to tamper with script or command prompts if i don't have too)
A lot of these problems are solved by running the program as administrator, but there are some cases that even this does not help. It happens with my laptop too, and if you go into individual program settings in the nvidia control panel you can change it to the dedicated gpu. Even though some games may still list it as using your integrated cpu graphics, you will notice that you are running at the performance of your dedicated gpu.

If this fix does not work, there is a command prompt you can input in order to make the games use your dedicated gpu (i prefer not to tamper with script or command prompts if i don't have too)

Solution
And make sure you have some sort of fps counter running while you play these games. I play path of exile (steam) and no matter what i do, it 'says' it is using my cpu, but the frames i'm getting are WELL beyond what my cpu would be capable of and match up with fps for the gpu i have that has been benchmarked online.

Hmm, somehow my other post got deleted. The command prompt solution i gave you is the final alternative for this problem and therefore IS your best solution. The only thing i didn't do is step by step instructions because i myself do not know them. I performed this operation this morning with path of exile, and it was the only solution to make the game recognize my laptops gpu instead of only the cpu

Atharva Gangal

Reputable
Apr 13, 2014