Question 1650 GTX system will only boot from BIOS

Sep 15, 2021
I recently migrated my system to a new case and installed a GTX 1650. Drivers were installed through GeForce Experience, driver version 471.96. On normal boot, using the 1650, the monitor turns off after the Windows 7 splash screen (before the log in request) informing me that no signal is being detected. The motherboard (Asus Maximus Gene V) does not display any error message. I have to hard reset the machine. If I F2 into BIOS during boot up and manually select the SSD to boot from, Windows 7 boots fine, and the 1650 appears to operate normally. I have the same issue if I have connect the monitor to the iGPU on the motherboard with the 1650 installed. I did not have these issues before I put the 1650 in, the system booted normally. Is this a driver issue? I've tried reinstalling both the iGPU and 1650 drivers. Thanks.

I recently migrated my system to a new case and installed a GTX 1650. Drivers were installed through GeForce Experience, driver version 471.96. On normal boot, using the 1650, the monitor turns off after the Windows 7 splash screen (before the log in request) informing me that no signal is being detected. The motherboard (Asus Maximus Gene V) does not display any error message. I have to hard reset the machine. If I F2 into BIOS during boot up and manually select the SSD to boot from, Windows 7 boots fine, and the 1650 appears to operate normally. I have the same issue if I have connect the monitor to the iGPU on the motherboard with the 1650 installed. I did not have these issues before I put the 1650 in, the system booted normally. Is this a driver issue? I've tried reinstalling both the iGPU and 1650 drivers. Thanks.
What are the system specs?

Sep 15, 2021
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz, 3501 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
Asus Maximus Gene V
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650
Corsair PC3-10700 (667 MHz) 8GB x2
G.Skill PC3-10700 (667 MHz) 8GB x2
Samsung SSD 870 QVO 1TB ATA Device
ST500DM002-1BD142 ATA Device
WDC WD10EZEX-08WN4A0
G7 Power Extreme 780W ATX PSU
Sharkoon VG6-W RGB Midi Tower Black
Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz, 3501 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
Asus Maximus Gene V
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650
Corsair PC3-10700 (667 MHz) 8GB x2
G.Skill PC3-10700 (667 MHz) 8GB x2
Samsung SSD 870 QVO 1TB ATA Device
ST500DM002-1BD142 ATA Device
WDC WD10EZEX-08WN4A0
G7 Power Extreme 780W ATX PSU
Sharkoon VG6-W RGB Midi Tower Black
Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1

Try these step by step:
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Install Intel MEI
  • Update your motherboard firmware (extract and run METool)
  • Uninstall gpu driver using DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors on device manager (should be 8 on yours) like this:
    unknown.png
  • Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios(download, extract the files and copy it to flashdrive, plug it on top rear usb slot then reboot to bios and flash the bios). Then go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings.

• boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver, reboot and connect to internet.

• Install the latest nvidia driver.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the orevious settings you did, installing intel hd is not necessary. Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1.

Also why you didn't use windows 10?

Reactions: BwganBlack
Sep 15, 2021
Thanks, I will give this a go.

I've tried upgrading to Windows 10 but it failed and rolled back. I'll do a clean install on a new partition if I can fix this problem.

Thanks, I will give this a go.

I've tried upgrading to Windows 10 but it failed and rolled back. I'll do a clean install on a new partition if I can fix this problem.
maybe you could just go clean install windows 10 after installing the latest bios (also dont forget to disable CSM and use AHCI on sata mode), and with this new gpu (disable igpu if not used) and not connect it to internet, then do install chipset (link is different from the 1st post, use this one if you did windows 10)after fresh installing windows 10, reboot, install nvidia driver, and check windows update and optional update, install them all.

There will be this option after you updated the windows on the latest update and using the latest nvidia driver:
unknown.png

Enable it and reboot.

Reactions: BwganBlack
Sep 15, 2021
To update, I removed the 1650 and the system booted fine.
I then used DDU to remove all AMD and NVIDIA drivers.
Looking at the logs from previous failed attempts to upgrade to Windows 10, drivers for the Intel HD Graphics 4000 seemed to be a problem, so I removed these using DDU too.
Attempted to upgrade to Windows 10...success!
Put the 1650 back in...and system wouldn't boot even from BIOS, it got stuck on the Windows 10 logo screen.
I could however boot in Safe Mode.
Proceeded to install standalone driver for the 1650. I used a slightly older one (466.77) as some have commented the most recent (471.96) is unstable.
Restarted.... and BSOD, 0xc000003e error.
Created Windows 10 USB Installation Media on another machine.
Booted from the USB and attempted to repair, no dice. No system restore available either.
When migrating to the new case, I had cloned my OS drive on to a new, bigger SSD. So I hooked up the old SSD as an external drive and attempted to boot to Windows 7 from it.
Crashed to BSOD on start-up...but it gave me the option to repair and found a problem with Windows Boot Manager.
Bizarrely, it somehow repaired the Windows 10 installation on the other disk (!) and I was able to boot to that.
I left it there for the night.
This morning, I removed the old SSD and reinserted the 1650... and it boots fine!
Fingers crossed it stays that way.

TL;DR The DDU worked great both for upgrading to Windows 10 and clean installing new GPU. Plus Windows 7 repair is marvelous.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Thanks for the tips

Sep 15, 2021
Yup seems to be working.

Upgrading PSU is on my list. I've had it for 10 years so it owes me nothing. The 1650 draws less power than my previous card so should be ok for now.