[SOLVED] 1650 super bottleneck with 9700k

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

486adam

Reputable
Jun 29, 2018
Okay, so I'm planning on getting some PC parts at Christmas, and am also planning on upgrading some more early-ish 2021. I don't want to fully upgrade my current build and have to then replace every part again in 2021.
currently, I'm running an i3-8100 and a 1650 super, and my question is, is it worth going for a 9700k/9900k at Christmas, then upgrading GPU to a 2080ti/30 series in 2021? will the bottleneck be THAT bad? because as mentioned, I don't want to get a mid-tier CPU, to then replace it again in 6 months. Thanks :)!

Solution
That depends on your budget.

Intel tends to not keep sockets around for very long. So if you are going with Intel I wouldn't plan on being able to do upgrades for long. They are more of a pick your chip and stick with it. Any Intel 8C/16T CPU should keep you gaming happy for a long time.
Exactly thank you mod, OP he is correct. As for your concern on the 9700k its great for gaming but if you really wanna be future proof as far as keeping that 9700k for many years I would consider getting a 8 core 16 thread CPU instead as eventually in due time games will take advantage of Hyper Threading or HT as they call it. But no you cant future proof your motherboard that is normal unless its AMD which is a whole nother story on its...

486adam

Reputable
Jun 29, 2018
Exactly thank you mod, OP he is correct. As for your concern on the 9700k its great for gaming but if you really wanna be future proof as far as keeping that 9700k for many years I would consider getting a 8 core 16 thread CPU instead as eventually in due time games will take advantage of Hyper Threading or HT as they call it. But no you cant future proof your motherboard that is normal unless its AMD which is a whole nother story on its own. You say future means the CPU you get will last you a long time and the 9700k will but as I said eventually games will fully support HT but not anytime soon but they will. Also as I said if you use hardcore apps like Photoshop and Premiere and Illustrator and CAD and 3D then I would not get the 9700k and opt for a 9900KS 9900k or 10700k. Hope this makes sense.👍✝🎗💯
okay, thanks for all the help :) I think I'm gonna go for the 9900k as it seems the most "future proof" and perfect for what I need :p thanks again :):)