Question $166 RX 5500XT vs $176 GTX 1650 Super

ANXsucks

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2016
I'm currently choosing between an Asrock Challenger 5500xt OC or a Palit GTX 1650 Super StormX OC. I want to try a bit of streaming so I think the 1650 Super would benefit me more bu the price difference is too high for me (yes, I'm that broke). I also only have a Corsair VS450 white PSU.

ANXsucks

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2016
All 1660's in my country are around $240. Plus I'm satisfied with what an RX 5500XT or GTX 1650 Super would give me in terms of FPS, it's just a matter of choosing which GPU has more significant features or what not.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
NORMALLY, I would say that the 5500XT slightly outperforms the 1650 Super. So, better performance and less money means the 5500 XT is a no-brainer.

But, given your PSU, I would go to the 1650 Super just because it's got lower power draw.

the 5500XT slightly outperforms the 1650 Super
No. The 1650 Super wins most times with pretty much whatever AMD does with their drivers. 1650 S has 2-4% more fps in average and most likely better compatibility and optimization. 1650 Super has 30 W less TDP and 'd most likely have a little lower temperatures. About the PSU, it's not only about the 450 W, but also the CV-version. CX, RM and better Corsair versions are better for GPUs with more TDP.

smallquadruped

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2012
I have a 1650 Super and am pretty happy with it. I was able to overclock it from 1530 MHz to just under 1750 and a boost clock of 2000 MHz with just the automatic tool in Afterburner. And sometimes I have to reduce texture resolution to Medium in newer games, but overall it runs everything at 60fps in 1080p.

I just wanted something to get my computer running before next gen gpus become available and come down in price, and this was the cheapest bang-for-the-buck to tide me over for a year or two.

Reactions: AJNameS

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
No. The 1650 Super wins most times with pretty much whatever AMD does with their drivers. 1650 S has 2-4% more fps in average and most likely better compatibility and optimization. 1650 Super has 30 W less TDP and 'd most likely have a little lower temperatures. About the PSU, it's not only about the 450 W, but also the CV-version. CX, RM and better Corsair versions are better for GPUs with more TDP.

I am aware of the PSU, and that it is not just about the wattage. The VS is not generally geared toward add-in GPUs, thus, my leaning toward the 1650 Super with its lower power draw.

What source are you using for the claim that the 1650 Super outdoes the RX 5500 XT?

That asked, I should clarify: The 4GB version of the 5500XT is essentially tied with the 1650 Super. The 8GB version edges it out. My reference is the Tom's Hardware GPU Hierarchy Chart.

I'm currently choosing between an Asrock Challenger 5500xt OC or a Palit GTX 1650 Super StormX OC. I want to try a bit of streaming so I think the 1650 Super would benefit me more bu the price difference is too high for me (yes, I'm that broke). I also only have a Corsair VS450 white PSU.

Hey ANXsucks,

I would get the 1650 super.
This case is so close you wouldnt notice the difference in a blind test.
About streaming. just go for it man. just put your voice out there in the world :)

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
From the first link in my signature:
The black and gray label VS series units are much better than the older orange and black label VS models, but they are still units you really only want to use with basic use office or internet browsing machines, or in a pinch, maybe a machine with a lower TDP slot powered card. Also, they are not a modern design, having an older group regulated platform which you can find plenty of in depth information about if you do a search for "group regulated power supplies". These are better than any of the units down below in the wall of shame list, and better than the older VS and CX units, but don't assume you that you can simply pair a graphics card that has a 550w recommendation with a 550w VS unit and not have any problems, because in all probability, you will. These units are not meant for use with high demand gaming systems. In a PINCH, for VERY short term use, they will work, but they are not going to last under the rigors of daily gaming loads.

ANXsucks

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2016
I'd probably upgrade my PSU first. Now I also have two options, Seasonic S12-550w Bronze or Seasonic Core GC 500w Gold. Both are around the same price but the Core GC is currently out of stock. Is it okay to buy the Bronze PSU rather than waiting for the Core GC to be in stock?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'd probably upgrade my PSU first. Now I also have two options, Seasonic S12-550w Bronze or Seasonic Core GC 500w Gold. Both are around the same price but the Core GC is currently out of stock. Is it okay to buy the Bronze PSU rather than waiting for the Core GC to be in stock?

There are two different S12 PSUs
The S12II (roman numeral 2) is an old design, but solid.
The s12III (roman numeral 3) should be avoided.

I would wait for the Core GC to come back in.