Question 1660 Super Artifacting

Jan 17, 2021
Hi guys I'm experiencing some artifacting issues and game crashes and I have no idea where to start troubleshooting. Here's my rig:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pvwB4d

I did recently upgrade to a Ryzen 5 5600x, and immediately after my rig was working perfectly fine. But a few NVIDIA driver updates later, my rig is failing. I'm currently sitting on Game Ready driver 466.11.

Things I've tried:
  • Unistalling my Nvidia and leftover AMD gpu drivers through DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller)
  • Installing two prior versions of GPU drivers
  • Reseated my GPU. As far as I can tell, it looks fine.
I'm not sure whether this is a hardware issue or a software issue. I did so many things at once, I'm not sure where my screw up started.
  1. I updated my bios for my 5600x.
  2. I swapped in my 5600x, so maybe it's a hardware issue from bumping something in my case.
  3. I updated my graphics drivers.
Please, I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2021
What is the cpu and gpu temps while gaming? Artifacts normally points to overheating vram.
I haven't extensively tested temps yet but I will as soon as I get home from work.
I did some minor testing with Prey (2016). The game locked up within 10 minutes.
I tried launching Skyrim Special Edition, but video card couldn't be detected and the settings defaulted to low settings. My system does however detect it...
The main game i play is Team Fortress 2 and the game locks up as soon as I get into a match.
VLC is also unable to play videos..
I tried a Furmark stress test. Results might help.
http://gpuscore.top/furmark/show.php?id=339264

Max usage and max power are sitting at zero. Should I physically check the GPU again?

Jacozeelie

Respectable
Mar 1, 2019
Lately i have seen that almost all gtx super gpu's run in the 80°c, i had the same problem. Have you tried to undervlot gpu or bring vram speen down a bit.? Open your case and point a room fan to blow into the case, it might be lack of airflow. Use hwinfo app to monitor temps while gaming, it could help

Reactions: LilDonut
Jan 17, 2021
Lately i have seen that almost all gtx super gpu's run in the 80°c, i had the same problem. Have you tried to undervlot gpu or bring vram speen down a bit.? Open your case and point a room fan to blow into the case, it might be lack of airflow. Use hwinfo app to monitor temps while gaming, it could help
Yeah I think I'm making progress. My gpu is definitely overheating. HWiNFO64 shows my gpu is sitting at 91°c and none of my gpu fans are being utilized. I'll look into undervolting and lowering vram speed also.

Jan 17, 2021
Okay I (kinda) fixed it!

It was heat related. For some reason my fans wouldn't turn on at all no matter how hot my card got.
I initially downloaded MSI Afterburner to manually activate my fans, but I was locked out of that option.
Then I switched to Asus GPU Tweak, since my card is Asus branded. I manually turned my fans on to 50% and that helped.

Still I'm wondering what caused my fans to not turn at all in the first place. Now there's artifacting and instability whenever I turn on the PC. I still get crashes and game lock ups.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2021
It would seem it is a faulty or corrupt bios for gpu. Flash the gpu with origanal and correct vbios. Make sure it is correct gpu and rev version. It should sort fan problem but not the big heat issue
I reflashed the gpu bios. I got it off techpowerup and flashed with nvflash. My system worked for a bit, but then the fans stopped spinning again after 10 minutes.
I was able to manually control the fans again through Asus tweak after reflashing. I was unable to do so before.

Edit: I can't manually control my fans again...

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2021
MSI Afterburner has its fan controls grayed out and I can't set a fan curve.

I've tried a few other things to test out what is wrong. I tried a Linux distribution (in this case Pop OS), to test the fans and monitor the GPU. Even on Pop OS the fans were unable to start.

I am able to manually turn on the fans sometimes though a mix of Afterburner and Asus Tweak Tools, but of course that's not ideal.

I discovered even with a desktop fan pointed directly at my GPU, I still get visual artifacts even on the desktop screen. When my GPU is at 31 degrees Celsius its still unstable. My system has been locking up from basic things such as opening Afterburner.

I'm thinking my only choice now is to RMA the gpu.