[SOLVED] 1660 Super/Ti or RTX 2060 ? Gigabyte or Asus?Any GPU around $300-350 worth investing?

sautelateacher

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
Hi All,

I am buiding a RIG to run many VMs with 3800x and 64 GB RAM so thought to put a GPU too so that I can play few games in free time. Now, I wonder why so many vendors for Nvidia? Which one to choose? The better one or go with anyone? If there is a comparison then which one you recommed among the 2 : Asus or Gigabyte?

Also I read few people are saying 1660 is still enough to play most of the games? But then what are the pending ones that it can't play? Again there are so many variants like Super/Ti/etc, how to choose one to buy?

Few says to go with 3000 series or to wait till we can afford it and not go with 2000 series, though for me 3000 would be out of budget as of now. My primary reason to build the PC is to run VMs, Learn and do editing Premiere Pro and After effects sort of and then play whatever game I like in free time. FIFA, NFS, COD, Battle Filed.

Also, I wish to learn and do stream. Is it enough to get a GPU and do or we need some capture card as well? I saw amazon has some capture cards, if we need it then which one to buy. I am also thining to buy a PS5 in Nov, can we stream using it? Or is there any link/guide that answer these questions?

Regards

Solution
RTX3060 is basically on the way. Might be available as late as January, but they might shoot for earlier depending on what AMD releases.

All of those games have requirements that can be looked up. That would be my first advice. Second, look at benchmark reviews for the graphics cards and games you want to play, that would be direct information. You didn't list a target resolution or performance, so hard to give a direct answer on performance.

In general I would say your choices would allow you to play any modern title, just depends on how well. 1080p 60hz, sure. 4K Ultra, no.

RTX cards do have an built in hardware capture device. Accessed via Nvidia ShadowPlay. So they can take the place of a capture card with minimal impact on...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
RTX3060 is basically on the way. Might be available as late as January, but they might shoot for earlier depending on what AMD releases.

All of those games have requirements that can be looked up. That would be my first advice. Second, look at benchmark reviews for the graphics cards and games you want to play, that would be direct information. You didn't list a target resolution or performance, so hard to give a direct answer on performance.

In general I would say your choices would allow you to play any modern title, just depends on how well. 1080p 60hz, sure. 4K Ultra, no.

RTX cards do have an built in hardware capture device. Accessed via Nvidia ShadowPlay. So they can take the place of a capture card with minimal impact on gaming performance. Discrete capture cards take some of the burden away from the system, but are not strictly needed. Mostly if you wanted to stream like, console playback, then they become necessary.

As for Nvidia's marketing:
Ti and Super are interchangeable for all intents and purposes. Just a way to differentiate between modified skus.

GTX and RTX: GTX is just Nvidia's older branding for Geforce GPUs (Geforce Extreme), GT cards are lower end.

RTX stands for Ray Tracing. RTX cards have specific hardware for calculating/emulating natural light reflections (light ray path tracing). Basically a way to render light without having to specify every little thing. Very resource intensive and not that great on the lower end RTX cards.

So GTX1660 < GTX1660Ti < RTX2060 < RTX 2060 Super , and then 2070, 2080, all that, super and Ti. Bigger number always better, suffix always better than not having one. (Only applies to the GPUs themselves, not necessarily the branding the card manufacturer will produce.

16 series and 20 series are effectively the same generation of hardware, just that the GTX cards have less features.

Reactions: raystorm79
Solution

sautelateacher

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
Hi Eximo,

Any resolution that gives a good experience. Haven't playes yet with dedicated card on PC so can't say much. Just want to ensure that I seek expert's advice before buying anything within my budget of $300-400.

I will check on ShadowPlay more how it works. What about GTX cards then how does streaming work on that? Could you guide me to some link or best forum to read more on console streaming?

I meant to ask Asus & Gigabyte which one to rely more? So many numbers and names for same 1660 & 2060. Thanks for the above explanations, now I understand a bit better

Also saw these two but never heard of Zotac & Inno so not sure how this Vendor labelling works:

https://www.amazon.in/ZOTAC-GeForce-256-bit-Graphics-ZT-T20610E-10M/dp/B07TXG9YDG

When checked Nvidia site for online purchase thy did't list any Vendor there so is that other companies buying from OEM and then selling with rebranding

Regards

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I believe the 16 series cards will have the same encoding hardware, all Turing. Not sure about anything newer/older. It can always be done with software as well, but that will be more of a drain on system resources.

Another feature of capture cards is to record at a lower resolution/frame rate than what you are playing the game at. So 1080p 120z could be captured as 720p 60 FPS, or even less.

ASUS and Gigabyte are the two largest manufacturers of printed circuit boards / finished PC components. Pretty much the big names in Motherboards and GPUs. Both ASUS and Gigabyte have expanded into monitors, peripherals, storage, etc. I wouldn't have issues buying from them.

These aren't rebranding. When you buy a Zotac card, they built it. The only thing supplied by Nvidia is the GPU itself, and they don't actually make that, only design it.
TSMC/Samsung/Global Foundries = GPU
Micron/Samsung/Hynix = Memory
AIB = "Board partners" (ASUS, Gigabyte, EVGA, etc) they will get a standard design from Nvidia and can choose to make their own custom design that meets Nvidia's specifications. These people will manufacture the PCB purchase other electronic components and assemble the finished product with their cooler on it. Also testing, software, etc to go along with it. So many cards are identical to what Nvidia sells, just a different cooler.

You will only find the high end cards from Nvidia typically. RTX2060 and up for last generation. But, they will have stopped production in favor of the 30 series some months back. Probably just out of stock on the older parts. Nvidia also uses Foxconn and Coolermaster to build their cards for them. (A lot of the other guys also use Coolermaster to build their cooler designs)

Inno3D isn't a brand I am too familiar with, I know they've been around a long time outside the US.
ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, EVGA, Galax, Zotac, pretty hard to go wrong. You get what you pay for, the cheaper ones are cost-optimized and may not perform as well as the more expensive ones. Less cooling, or component price reduction will produce slower clock speeds. That said, we are talking like 5% between any given GPU and the accompanying cooler/components.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Assuming you're buying now, and not waiting to see how the RTX 3060 pans out, and not waiting to see what Navi 2 will bring to the table....

I don't know what it's like in India, but in the US, generally the RX 5600 XT can generally be had for close to or maybe a little more than GTX 1660 Super/1660 Ti cards, but performs better than the more expensive RTX 2060.

Now, I do see that there are 1660 Super and 1660 Ti cards (again in the US) available that cost less than the RX 5600 XT, so, when the price dips significantly lower, then, if the 1660 Super or Ti covers your needs, it'll be fine. But if the RX 5600 XT is the same price or only a little more, you should definitely go that way instead.

sautelateacher

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
I think RTX 3060 would be out of my budget, would it be around the same cost of 2060? I am new to GPUs to doing my bit of research

I will do more research on AMD cards, haven't serched yet as was also planning to buy PS5 after 6 months, which seems to come with AMD cads. But I will do more search on them.

Do we have a comparison chart somewhere for Nvidia == AMD? Like which series is equal to which one

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
RTX3060 should drop roughly in the same price bracket as the RTX2060 Super. Wouldn't be worth it otherwise.

There used to be some charts like that, they've kind of dropped off. On a per game basis anyway, some games run better with one brand or the other. DX11, DX12, Vulkan for the main render also can make a big difference. And it depends on if you are going for performance or quality.

Gamer's Nexus has very thorough charts, but they will use a single test bench and a small stable of games.

Very basically, it has been mostly covered in this thread, but here is quick one.

5600XT ~= GTX 1660Ti ~= GTX1070
5700 ~= RTX 2060 ~= Vega56
5700XT < RTX 2070 ~= Radeon VII

Under those, not much point in buying. GTX1650 and the 5500XT are more edge cases where you want to cram something into a low power or small form factor. Not really worth the money otherwise.