Question 1660 ti not working on msi B450M motherboard?

May 17, 2019
Is there any compatibility issue with
1660 ti with B450M motherboard?
I have ryzen 5 2600
500w PSU with 8pin

It should work. What error message you are getting ? That board has one 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (PCIEX16) for the main GPU. What's the make and model number of your PSU, as well as GPU ? Do you have the latest BIOS installed on your system ?

Did you plug in the PCI-e connectors from your PSU to the Video card ? How many PEG/PCI-e cables does your video card require to power it up ?

May 17, 2019
No there is no compatibility issue.

What way is it not working?
Did you have any previous GPU?
Is it a new GPU or one that worked before and now doesn't?
What make and model PSU do you have?
When i boot it up no display is showing. Just the endless blinking of the monitor
Yes i had a r7 240
Yes i just bought the 1660 ti
My PSU is Raidmax 500 ATX Power Supply

May 17, 2019
It should work. What error message you are getting ? That board has one 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (PCIEX16) for the main GPU. What's the make and model number of your PSU, as well as GPU ? Do you have the latest BIOS installed on your system ?

Did you plug in the PCI-e connectors from your PSU to the Video card ? How many PEG/PCI-e cables does your video card require to power it up ?
No error message just black screen. Just the blinking light of the monitor
My PSU is Raidmax 500 ATX power supply
My new GPU is Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1660 ti Windforce OC 6gb
Yes i plugged the 8 pin PCI-e connector
It just needs one 8pin

My PSU is Raidmax 500 ATX Power Supply

Actually. That's a very poor quality PSU (low-end TIER). I won't use this model to power up any high-end Gaming PC. Not recommended. Even though your current issue might not be directly related to the PSU, you must think of grabbing some other high quality PSU.

The PSU might also be the culprit, but I don't want to jump on any conclusion, as of now. You can check this PSU tier list. Except the Raidmax - RX-700AT model, all other raidmax units are listed under TIER D. Even though we can't fully trust PSU tiers, but at least it gives us some insight.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1045610-new-psu-tier-list/

BTW, Do you have the latest BIOS installed on your system ?

Last edited:
May 17, 2019
Actually. That's a very poor quality PSU (low-end TIER). I won't use this model to power up any high-end Gaming PC. Not recommended. Even though your current issue might not be directly related to the PSU, you must think of grabbing some other high quality PSU.

The PSU might also be the culprit, but I don't want to jump on any conclusion, as of now. You can check this PSU tier list. Except the Raidmax - RX-700AT model, all other raidmax units are lsied under TIER D. Even though we can't fully trust PSU tiers, but at least it gives us some insight.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1045610-new-psu-tier-list/

BTW, Do you have the latest BIOS installed on your system ?
Yeah i thought so too. I was really on a budget so i just bought a cheap psu with 8pin Pci-E. How about a corsair CX 500? Will that do?

How about a corsair CX 500? Will that do?

That's an okay-ish average unit. Not the very best from Corsair, but it's not that bad either. What's your BUDGET for the PSU ? Also, mention the currency in which you would be buying a new PSU, assuming your current power supply is indeed the culprit.

IF suppose you get some other PSU, then re-test your GPU and report back here. If you still encounter the same issue, then the problem might be somewhere else. Also, update your system's BIOS, if not done so.

May 17, 2019
That's an okay-ish average unit. Not the very best from Corsair, but it's not that bad either. What's your BUDGET for the PSU ? Also, mention the currency in which you would be buying a new PSU, assuming your current power supply is indeed the culprit.

IF suppose you get some other PSU, then re-test your GPU and report back here. If you still encounter the same issue, then the problem might be somewhere else. Also, update your system's BIOS, if not done so.
So here's what happened. It did work when we updated the bios and using other hdmi and tv monitor.
When i came home and use my acer monitor with vga and vga adapter for the gtx 1660 ti. It doesn't work again.

Does it mean that the gtx 1660 ti has an issue in using it on vga?

So here's what happened. It did work when we updated the bios and using other hdmi and tv monitor.
When i came home and use my acer monitor with vga and vga adapter for the gtx 1660 ti. It doesn't work again.

Does it mean that the gtx 1660 ti has an issue in using it on vga?

Why didn't you say this in the first post? Need full information about the issue to figure out what is wrong. If the card worked on HDMI then of course the first thing you need to check is this adapter. Test the card with a monitor that does not need the adapters. You could have bought another power supply and did a lot of other things for nothing due to lack of info.