[SOLVED] 1660s or 2060s for 1080p

Giannaros

Commendable
Mar 25, 2020
Hey guys, I am buying parts for my new build and for my GPU I am between a 1660 super (250euro) and a 2060 super (400-450euro). I plan on playing on 1080p so I know that a 2060s might be a bit of an overkill but I want this build to cover my gaming needs for the next 5 years or so, and I am afraid that the 1660s wont be able to do that.

If I were to get the 2060s, I am between the MSI gaming X which is 450euro in my country and the MSI Ventus GP OC which is at 400euro. I don't care about RGBs and stuff but i read that Ventus has bad temps and is loud. What would you do? Thanks!

P.S: The rest of the build is: CPU-->Ryzen 5 3600 | RAM-->G.Skill RipjawsV 16GB DDR4 3200MHz | Motherboard--> Asrock B450 pro4 | SSD--> 500GB Samsung 860 Evo

Solution
Thanks for the fast reply! My current monitor is 60Hz but I would like to upgrade it sometime soon, so i see your point. And between the two 2060s which would you go with? Do you know if the Ventus really has issues with temps and noise, and is the gaming X really worth the 50-60 extra euros?
Neither GPU should have issues with temps unless you have a high room temp, terrible case airflow, etc. With that much of a price difference I'd get the Ventus and create a custom fan curve where it at 100% by either 75 or 80C via MSI Afterburner. As for noise it depends on what you consider quiet. For me it's a non issue as I'm usually gaming and watching Netflix/YT/News so I don't really hear the system but for other's it can be a bigger...

WildCard999

Titan
If it's above 60hz then I wouldn't consider the 2060S overkill for 1080P or even if it is and you want to utilize Ray Tracing then a 2060S is pretty much required as it needs quite a bit of GPU horsepower to run. Considering how long you want the system to last get the most powerful GPU you can afford.

Giannaros

Commendable
Mar 25, 2020
If it's above 60hz then I wouldn't consider the 2060S overkill for 1080P or even if it is and you want to utilize Ray Tracing then a 2060S is pretty much required as it needs quite a bit of GPU horsepower to run. Considering how long you want the system to last get the most powerful GPU you can afford.
Thanks for the fast reply! My current monitor is 60Hz but I would like to upgrade it sometime soon, so i see your point. And between the two 2060s which would you go with? Do you know if the Ventus really has issues with temps and noise, and is the gaming X really worth the 50-60 extra euros?

WildCard999

Titan
Neither GPU should have issues with temps unless you have a high room temp, terrible case airflow, etc. With that much of a price difference I'd get the Ventus and create a custom fan curve where it at 100% by either 75 or 80C via MSI Afterburner. As for noise it depends on what you consider quiet. For me it's a non issue as I'm usually gaming and watching Netflix/YT/News so I don't really hear the system but for other's it can be a bigger concern. Just buy from a retailer that will allow you to return or exchange it if the card is too loud for you.

Solution

Giannaros

Commendable
Mar 25, 2020
Neither GPU should have issues with temps unless you have a high room temp, terrible case airflow, etc. With that much of a price difference I'd get the Ventus and create a custom fan curve where it at 100% by either 75 or 80C via MSI Afterburner. As for noise it depends on what you consider quiet. For me it's a non issue as I'm usually gaming and watching Netflix/YT/News so I don't really hear the system but for other's it can be a bigger concern. Just buy from a retailer that will allow you to return or exchange it if the card is too loud for you.
Got it, thanks! Last question: For how long do you think that the 1660s would cover my gaming needs in 1080p 60Hz? I am not a power user or someone who feels that he MUST run everything on ultra, but lets say on high and at least 50fps. 1-2 years or could it be more?

WildCard999

Titan
Got it, thanks! Last question: For how long do you think that the 1660s would cover my gaming needs in 1080p 60Hz? I am not a power user or someone who feels that he MUST run everything on ultra, but lets say on high and at least 50fps. 1-2 years or could it be more?
I hope it lasts for like a year or so, I just bought a 1660S for my 2650x1080P monitor lol. Again, this depends on what you want for settings and the games you play. Titles like AC: Odyssey push mine around a mix of High/Med settings to maintain 60+ FPS but I don't mind going to Low eventually if it allows for 60+ FPS (monitor goes to 75hz). Since I don't mind going to Low settings I could see it lasting 2+ years but it also depends on the game(s). 80% of my gaming goes into playing City of Heroes which is a ancient game (2004) by todays standards and I can play it on Ultra in raids with like 50+ people and still get over 30 FPS.

Giannaros

Commendable
Mar 25, 2020
I hope it lasts for like a year or so, I just bought a 1660S for my 2650x1080P monitor lol. Again, this depends on what you want for settings and the games you play. Titles like AC: Odyssey push mine around a mix of High/Med settings to maintain 60+ FPS but I don't mind going to Low eventually if it allows for 60+ FPS (monitor goes to 75hz). Since I don't mind going to Low settings I could see it lasting 2+ years but it also depends on the game(s). 80% of my gaming goes into playing City of Heroes which is a ancient game (2004) by todays standards and I can play it on Ultra in raids with like 50+ people and still get over 30 FPS.
Cool man thanks for all the info, I appreciate it! :)

If anyone else reads this and has personal experience on the 2060s Ventus GP OC, share your impression! Thanks!

Reactions: WildCard999