Hello all.

Build:
Ryzen 2600x
b450 f gaming mobo
32gb corsair vengeance pro rgb ram
750 corsair PSU
captain 240 pro aio cpu cooler
two ssd and 4tb hdd

OK. My monitors are only 75 refresh rate.

I bought a 1660ti for my ryzen 2600x gaming rig. mostly for AA and AAA games plus VR oculus.

everything is running great. BUT the 2060 right now is on sale. I would have to pay an extra $59 to get it with an exchange at best buy.

should i or not?

if so, msi 2060 gaming z 6gb ddr6 or
evga 2060 XC ultra gaming 6gb ddr6?

thx

Okay, then grab the RTX 2060 instead. It is faster than the 1660Ti as well, and it's also going to be slightly future-proof, IMO.

You'll get higher frame rates, alongside the ray-tracing/RT and Tensor cores, two features that will future-proof this card well into the next cycle of GPUs that come off Nvidia's manufacturing line. You could also get a VirtualLink port, if you opt for a different RTX 2060 model.

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
I have a similar setup (but with an OC'd 2600 and 16 GB RAM).
For $59 I'd probably go for it if you plan to play at 1440p in the next year or two.
But if you will always be gaming at 1080p, I'd save the money and put it towards a CPU upgrade in the future.

As for MSI vs EVGA they look to be essentially identical so I'd get whichever one you like better.
Here are reviews of both at TPU:
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/GeForce_RTX_2060_XC_Ultra/37.html

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GeForce_RTX_2060_Gaming_Z/37.html

PS
specops70,
I sent you an email.

Last edited:
While the 2060 is faster, we're only talking about a 15-20% performance gain on average in today's games. So, if you averaged around 60 fps in a particular game with a 1660 Ti, the 2060 would only push you up around 70 or so. And in most current games, I would expect either card to provide good performance at 1080p. Maybe some VR titles could benefit from that extra bit of performance, and the card might potentially remain relevant a bit longer, but it's up to you to decide whether that's worth an extra $60.

As for the raytracing hardware, so far there are only 3 games that support raytraced lighting effects, and even with the dedicated hardware, those effects cause a large hit to performance to the point where they might be better left disabled, so it remains to be seen whether the first-generation RT hardware in the 2060 will be all that useful. And almost no 2060s bother to include a VirtualLink port, so don't expect to find one on that card either.