[SOLVED] 1660ti with 3700x?

Solution
I have a 3700x with a GTX 1660 Ti (see my signature for my full specs).
This combo works great for me, I game at 1080p/60Hz and get anywhere from 85 to 150+ fps on current AAA games set to Ultra.
What do you have now, and what are you looking to get?

Do you already HAVE the 3700x? Do you already have the 1660 TI?

What is your EXACT power supply model, because that might be a major deciding factor unless you are also willing to replace or aquire one that is suitable for a specific graphics card.

Tartarnos

Prominent
Aug 19, 2019
I don’t have any of the components yet, I was just wondering if the combination is good. As for the power supply, I’m planning on going with the Corsair RMx 550w, or if that’s not good enough, the Corsair RMx 650w.

What power supply you need is directly related to what graphics card you decide on. Picking a power supply should be done AFTER you know what the full system consists of so that you know what kind of capacity is going to be required.

As to the build, if you are going with something like the 1660 TI, then something like the Ryzen 5 3600 would be a lot better balanced. There is no need for a CPU like the 3700x with a lower tiered graphics card like the 1660 TI unless you are shooting for a very high FPS margin due to a high refresh rate monitor, and are playing seriously demanding titles.

A lack of balance usually results in spending money needlessly. Now, if you're going with something like the 2060 Super or higher, and you'll be using a 144 or 240hz display, then a higher end CPU might be a good idea.

Really, it would be best to know your budget for the full build, exactly WHAT you intend the system to be used for including will you be planning to run non-gaming applications, or will you be recording, streaming or other form of heavy multitasking WHILE gaming. These are the things that should determine your build.

Reactions: DMAN999

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
DarkBreeze is correct,
Choosing a CPU/GPU combo depends on what your usage is and what resolution and the refresh rate of your monitor.
A 3600 would run games at pretty much the same fps as my 3700x does at 1080p/60Hz.

I got the 3700x because I stream to multiple TV's pretty much all day everyday and I also encode videos fairly regularly (while I'm gaming).
So the 8 cores and 16 threads are definitely beneficial for me.

So if you don't need the extra cores you could save some money and get a 3600 and a better GPU.

Last edited:

Tartarnos

Prominent
Aug 19, 2019
I have a 144hz monitor at 1080p, and I’m planning on strictly gaming.

Would the 3600x and the rtx 2060 super be a good combo? Or should I switch to an intel processor like the i5 9600k since I won’t be multitasking?

That combination would likely give you Ultra everything at or pretty damn near 144FPS for MOST titles. There might be a few particularly demanding games that bring that down to mostly Ultra with a few high settings and one or two that simply require nearly all high settings, but yes, that would be a very good choice. And that would likely last you a number of years in terms of remaining capable enough to keep up, at least at 1080p.

It won't be long and practically everything that isn't a very specific type of professional application, and maybe even most of those since many of them are coming around as well, will become highly optimized for multithreaded performance. Plus, Windows and anything you do have installed tend to run many background processes so even if you think you aren't running a bunch of things at one time, you probably are.

Reactions: Tartarnos

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
It really depends on the game, this should give you an idea of that:
View: https://youtu.be/yEqsBH4RDbQ

With the 1660 Ti you can expect somewhere around 90 to 100 fps in most games.
So with a 144 Hz monitor you will probably want a faster GPU so yo ucan get the 144 fps your monitor is capable of displaying.

A 3600 with a 2070 Super or XT5700 would probably be a good choice for you:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjgxaQeNDYU

I personally am happy playing at 60 Hz (60+ fps) But I don't play online shooters that really like the higher fps.

Reactions: Tartarnos