167 Million HDDs Shipped In Q2, WD Leads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love WD HD's. Have had a few issues with Seagate HD's in the last year or so, so I'm staying away from them at this point. Might score on the Samsung F3 1TB HD soon, before Seagate screws them up, but time will tell.

ZenithCS

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
I also had a few issues with Seagate HDDs but only with 7200.7 and 7200.11 series.
Now I'm using both WD and Seagate in my system and they are pretty solid. Nothing has died on me yet.

inerax

Distinguished
I have many WD drives. like 15+. ranging from 10+ years old to 2 months old.

I have never had a problem with ANY of them.

Only problem i have is with the WD external drives. takes it apart, pull the HDD. working fine. their HDD's are great.

weatherdude

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
It looks like the hard drive market is consolidating into mainly two companies. That seems to be the way it goes in the PC component world. I wonder if it's a good thing for consumers.

dalmvern

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
I think that WD does a better job marketing their product than their competitors. Aside from marketing, they are also huge in the external hard drive market so when you have a WD external hard drive, the first thought for the layman would be to buy a WD HDD.

[citation][nom]weatherdude[/nom]It looks like the hard drive market is consolidating into mainly two companies. That seems to be the way it goes in the PC component world. I wonder if it's a good thing for consumers.[/citation]

it has generally been that way for the last 5 years. everywhere you go you have only WD and seagate to choose from and rarely see any samsung or hitachi HDD unless you go online

brandoncatz

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]it has generally been that way for the last 5 years. everywhere you go you have only WD and seagate to choose from and rarely see any samsung or hitachi HDD unless you go online[/citation]

And 10-15 years ago I remember the 2 being WD and Maxtor, with Seagate being available but generally more expensive and harder to find.

ezareth

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
I've been using a pair of Raid 0 WD Velociraptors since they were launched in 2003. Never had a single issue and they still run my operating system partition.

brandoncatz

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
My WD Black 1TB just crapped out on me a couple of days ago after a little over a year. In any case, my Samsung F3 (x2 Raid 0) is working great so far... love Samsung.

noblerabbit

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
yep, I hear the new 2TB Samsung Spinpoint drives are extremely reliable, and are actually the least expensive. If you want pure raw dependability, forget both WD, Seagate and choose Hitachi.

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Hi. :hello: I'm just like you,I love my Western Digital Hard Drive Discs & especially the Veloci Raptor :) . That's as far as it goes though,because you will not see me getting samsung :pt1cable: . Samsung is just a load of trouble if you ask me :fou: . Although I have not tried their HDDs yet,but every thing else I have. Also I've tried seagate & I thought the same as you. :lol:

AMD X6850

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]since my cheap option (maxtor) is gone. i have always stuck with WD drives. never had any problems with them at all. im staying away from seagate though[/citation]

I've had both Maxtor drives that I have owned fail =D

ctmk

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
2 out of 5 WD Black reported critical smart error on me after 1 year of 24/7 use, luckily i got 1 to 1 exchange from WD. Always have backup on at least 2 HDD.

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
[citation][nom]weatherdude[/nom]It looks like the hard drive market is consolidating into mainly two companies. That seems to be the way it goes in the PC component world. I wonder if it's a good thing for consumers.[/citation]
Well, for example, 2TB 7200RPM HDD prices have actually gone up a bit, so there's your answer...

johnsmithhatesVLC

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Stay away from cheap wd greens. I had a dead on arrival drive after getting it from the store and a one that died 2 months after rma. Now I'm putting the replacement on the shelf.

I did some research and it has something to do with the "energy saving features" the wd greens use. They power up only when access and power down. This actually wears the drive much more causing it to fail faster.

nikkidpartypooper

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011

I'd have to agree with "Wish I Was Wealthy" he's so damn cool! :sol: I'm so damn cool also! :sol:

nikkidpartypooper

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011

Hay johnsmithhate. I've a pair of those WD Green power in raid and none of them have given me trouble yet. ;) Maybe you just had some bad luck. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.