[SOLVED] 169.254.x.x and nas not accessible

Sangetsu0412

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2014
Hello,

I have a Netgear Nighthawk R8000P router.
Connected to that router are
  • 1x computer (2 ports used with 2 network cables)
  • 1x Qnap Nas (also 2 ports used with 2 network cables)
rest goes by wifi

since last week i wasn't able to access my nas from my computer (not all network connections could be restored on x for path \\nas\ecetera\ error messages) but my tv could access plex on that nas without problems and play movies.

I looked up my connections and it seems my computer had 2 different ethernet connections :
ethernet: 169.254.x.x
ethernet2: 192.168.x.x
(and some virtualbox host-only connections for my labs)

where ethernet 2 is main internet, but ethernet 1 doesn't do jack.
as soon as i disabled ethernet 1: my nas was accessible again.

I'm wondering what i'm doing wrong here.
any advice?

ask for more information if you think it's needed.

thanks for any help/info

edit1: did some more digging and i also found "my exact computer" but with another IP address.
I tracert the IP addresse to something called " compalhub.home on another "network".
My router (behind the ISP router) is configured to be 192.168.1.x while that compalhub.home address goes to 192.168.0.x
I'm at a loss here.
Am i being hacked?

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
Hello,

I have a Netgear Nighthawk R8000P router.
Connected to that router are
  • 1x computer (2 ports used with 2 network cables)
  • 1x Qnap Nas (also 2 ports used with 2 network cables)
rest goes by wifi

since last week i wasn't able to access my nas from my computer (not all network connections could be restored on x for path \\nas\ecetera\ error messages) but my tv could access plex on that nas without problems and play movies.

I looked up my connections and it seems my computer had 2 different ethernet connections :
ethernet: 169.254.x.x
ethernet2: 192.168.x.x
(and some virtualbox host-only connections for my labs)

where ethernet 2 is main internet, but ethernet 1 doesn't do jack.
as soon as i disabled ethernet 1: my nas was accessible again.

I'm wondering what i'm doing wrong here.
any advice?

ask for more information if you think it's needed.

thanks for any help/info

edit1: did some more digging and i also found "my exact computer" but with another IP address.
I tracert the IP addresse to something called " compalhub.home on another "network".
My router (behind the ISP router) is configured to be 192.168.1.x while that compalhub.home address goes to 192.168.0.x
I'm at a loss here.
Am i being hacked?
Your problem is that your Netgear router doesn't support link aggregation. Having two etherent cables from your PC and NAS won't increase your network performance.

Sangetsu0412

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2014
Thanks for the answers, how do i solve this? Just unhook a cable? I thought both wires would improve network connectivity or qos of some kind, but obviously that's a wrong way of thought.

You have 2 major things to learn...and you may end up deciding it not worth doing.

First you need to learn about link aggregation..802.3ad. This is the industry standard form ignore any proprietary implementations. The key thing to learn is how it select the path to put data on and what that means when you consider data throughput and single stream data transfers.

The next thing that is important is to understand how disks and file systems actually function. You need to understand the actual maximum rates of all the different models of disk drives and how file size impact transfers. Note this applies to both side of the transfer the pc and the NAS unit since both need fast transfer but one is read and the other is write which have different performance on drives.

The disk is not actually a network issue but you find in many cases the network is not the bottleneck.