[SOLVED] 169 ip address but can access some websites

phaelax

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
I have multiple computers on my network but one laptop in particular gives me trouble. Running Win10 enterprise. I'm getting the 169.254 IP which is preventing me from access websites or reaching my vpn server. However, I am able to connect to some websites such as google and FB (i can search and navigate, they're not cached), but that's it. Though I don't know why I'm getting that IP, I know that's why I can't reach anything. What has me more stumped is why I'm able to access google and fb still?

Solution
First the "169" IP address:

https://dfarq.homeip.net/what-is-a-169-ip-address/

From the link:

"Opening a command prompt and typing the command ipconfig /release followed by ipconfig /renew can be helpful. It will tell you if Windows thinks your network card is connected. If your wireless connection is disconnected, try reconnecting. Make sure your usual SSID shows up in the list. If it doesn’t, reboot your router, which is a good thing to do from time to time anyway. If no SSIDs show up in the list, make sure your wireless network card is working. Some laptops have a switch or button that turns your wireless connection on or off. If the wireless card is on but still not working, try restarting your system."

Check...

Ralston18

Titan
First the "169" IP address:

https://dfarq.homeip.net/what-is-a-169-ip-address/

From the link:

"Opening a command prompt and typing the command ipconfig /release followed by ipconfig /renew can be helpful. It will tell you if Windows thinks your network card is connected. If your wireless connection is disconnected, try reconnecting. Make sure your usual SSID shows up in the list. If it doesn’t, reboot your router, which is a good thing to do from time to time anyway. If no SSIDs show up in the list, make sure your wireless network card is working. Some laptops have a switch or button that turns your wireless connection on or off. If the wireless card is on but still not working, try restarting your system."

Check the laptop's wired and wireless network adapters. Ensure that only one network adapter (either wired or wireless) is enabled.

Not two adapters at the same time.

Also run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

Post the results.

Solution