16GB (2x8GB), Ripjaws V, DDR4 3200MHz, CL16 or 16GB (2x8GB) Hyper X Fury, DDR4 2666MHz, CL16

xjokru

Commendable
Oct 1, 2016
I'm buying a new gaming pc and I just picked a "ready set" of components from the retailers site, however I now noticed that a faster same size module is available.
There are some differences to the modules, the main one that concerns me is the latency:
16-18-18
on the HyperX set
and
16-18-18-38-2N
on the Ripjaws set, what do these numbers mean? Why is there two fewer digits on the HyperX?
The Ripjaws set also says this:
Unbuffered

Do these matter or is it better to just switch to Ripjaws V (I can switch for free)? Is the HyperX somehow better otherwise?

And I tried to do some research, but couldn't find much, sorry if this is a stupid or useless question.

tejayd

Prominent
Mar 11, 2018
Odd they dont have the 4th number. It exists and is like 38 also. It might not make mich difference. But the 3200gz gskill skill are faster. If it was easy to return I might do it. If not, you shouldnt notice a difference anyway. (I'm not an expert, just have a basic idea of how ram works).

Edit: If you have them installed you can see the timings. Your bios or if you download something like cpuz. The 2N should be the same for both also. Might show up as CR 2N.

The main question comes down to is the CPU Intel or AMD? If Intel it doesn't matter very much which one you choose. If it is a 2nd Gen Ryzen you will want the 3200MHz as that will increase the Infinity Fabric speed, 1st Gen would be helped by the faster RAM as well just not as much as the 2nd Gen