Question 16GB but only 7.9 usable

Oct 5, 2018
Just like the name says i have 16Gb of DDR4 ram but it says only 7.9 is usable and it only started today makes most of my games crash as well
My parts:
RTX 2070
Ryzen 7 2700X
16GB DDR4 hyperX ram
B350-F MB

Feren142

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
Hey

Are you saying that all 16GB of ram is recognized by both the BIOS/UEFI and WIndows 10?

Is this 2x8GB or 4x4GB?

I assume you're running Windows 10. Just a quick question. Have you tried running the simple windows memory diagnostic to see if it passes or gives you any insight?

Are you overclocked? More specifically, is your memory overclocked? Are you running XMP (extreme memory profiling) in BIOS/UEFI?

Reactions: Rich0rangeUK
Oct 5, 2018
My games kept crashing so i looked around and saw that only 7.9GB of ram was usable out of 16 i don't really know whats going on with it
Specs:
Ryzen 7 2700X
RTX 2070
B350-F
HyperX DDR4 16GB

Oct 5, 2018
Hey

Are you saying that all 16GB of ram is recognized by both the BIOS/UEFI and WIndows 10?

Is this 2x8GB or 4x4GB?

I assume you're running Windows 10. Just a quick question. Have you tried running the simple windows memory diagnostic to see if it passes or gives you any insight?

Are you overclocked? More specifically, is your memory overclocked? Are you running XMP (extreme memory profiling) in BIOS/UEFI?
BIOS says 8 but windows says 16Gb 7.9 usable

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I don't feel comfortable telling you to buy ram for the sake of it without testing first but yeah if one of them is bad then yea buy a new set. Could risk buying a single stick of the same specs to save some money but not being in a set is taking a risk if not able to return the ram. Ram sold in kits are tested to work together.

Reactions: Rich0rangeUK

Feren142

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
Should i just buy new ram or somthing else?

I would give memtest (windows diagnostic) a try and see if it passes before considering that. You don't even have to open up the computer to try that. In my experience when a ram module fails the computer wont even boot.

You could also try re-seating the ram, cleaning the contacts etc. Also, most RAM has a lifetime warranty on it, so you could look into that too.

Try each individual stick one at a time. Seeming as it seems one of the sticks are bad, one stick should boot into Windows fine, while the other one should not. Once you have found out which one doesn't work, if it is still in warranty, contact where you got it from and see if it can be replaced. Otherwise, buy an exact matching stick (same manufacturer, same model, same speed and same size), or buy another 2x8GB and replace both of yours.

Oct 5, 2018
I don't feel comfortable telling you to buy ram for the sake of it without testing first but yeah if one of them is bad then yea buy a new set. Could risk buying a single stick of the same specs to save some money but not being in a set is taking a risk if not able to return the ram. Ram sold in kits are tested to work together.
Not sure if this image will help at all View: https://imgur.com/a/pxGZyFE

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Should i just buy new ram or somthing else and when i play a game it says i dont have enough vram

Half the ram not being recognised properly can cause errors like that but so can limited space on the hdd/ssd windows is on affecting the pagefile (virtual memory ) from expanding.

How much space is left on your main drive and you haven't modified the pagefile size?

Oct 5, 2018
Half the ram not being recognised properly can cause errors like that but so can limited space on the hdd/ssd windows is on affecting the pagefile (virtual memory ) from expanding.

How much space is left on your main drive and you haven't modified the pagefile size?
My SSD with my OS has 30GB left its only a 112GB SSD and i did change the pagefile size about a year or two ago

boju

Titan
Ambassador
My SSD with my OS has 30GB left its only a 112GB SSD and i did change the pagefile size about a year or two ago

What size is it? Probably not enough and that's the reason for running out of memory errors.

When you get time, test the memory sticks as other's have also suggested. If one stick is bad remove it and return pagefile to self managed. 30gb free space should be enough to avoid memory errors.

Hold up. The other half of your RAM is hardware reserved. Seeming as you get VRAM errors too, it might be something other than bad RAM. Have you downloaded the drivers for the RTX 2070? If not, do that now and see how it goes. https://www.geforce.co.uk/drivers. Even if you do have them, then it would be worth trying to reinstall them.
Before you do this, however, is your RAM in alternating slots. If not, then move them so that they are in slot 2 and slot 4. It should be like: empty, RAM, empty, RAM.

Reactions: boju and levi74
Oct 5, 2018
Hold up. The other half of your RAM is hardware reserved. Seeming as you get VRAM errors too, it might be something other than bad RAM. Have you downloaded the drivers for the RTX 2070? If not, do that now and see how it goes. https://www.geforce.co.uk/drivers. Even if you do have them, then it would be worth trying to reinstall them.
Before you do this, however, is your RAM in alternating slots. If not, then move them so that they are in slot 2 and slot 4. It should be like: empty, RAM, empty, RAM.
Yeah i did dl new drivers for em today but ill give that go and ill try the other one aswel

Oct 5, 2018
What size is it? Probably not enough and that's the reason for running out of memory errors.

When you get time, test the memory sticks as other's have also suggested. If one stick is bad remove it and return pagefile to self managed. 30gb free space should be enough to avoid memory errors.
I've tested them one at a time and they seem to work fine

Oct 5, 2018
So moving them seemed to work and now its back to normal bless you guys for your help love you lads

Reactions: ConanLock