Question 16GB but only 7.9 usable

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 5, 2018
Just like the name says i have 16Gb of DDR4 ram but it says only 7.9 is usable and it only started today makes most of my games crash as well
My parts:
RTX 2070
Ryzen 7 2700X
16GB DDR4 hyperX ram
B350-F MB

Jun 18, 2019
Just like the name says i have 16Gb of DDR4 ram but it says only 7.9 is usable and it only started today makes most of my games crash as well
My parts:
RTX 2070
Ryzen 7 2700X
16GB DDR4 hyperX ram
B350-F MB
this happened to me a little while ago, changing the slots from 1 and 3 to 2 and 4 fixed the problem. Give it a try!

Rich0rangeUK

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
I don't feel comfortable telling you to buy ram for the sake of it without testing first but yeah if one of them is bad then yea buy a new set. Could risk buying a single stick of the same specs to save some money but not being in a set is taking a risk if not able to return the ram. Ram sold in kits are tested to work together.
k first off 'unplug power' & depress your case power button
[to get rid of any residual power]. Open your PC case and then touch something earthed [like a radiator] So..
take out both memory sticks & remember which was in which slot
are your memory sticks in slots 1&3 or 2&4 -if 1&3 swop 1to3 and 3to1 -otherwise find out which isn't right & keep the working one & send the duff one back..
[most games will run on 8gb in slot1 [usually nearest your CPU]]
Or send both back saying one is not right and ask for a matched ram replacement.. -i like ram with next sequentially numbered -so its from the same run ..but that's me being old-school.. goodluck but that means pc downtime whilst they sort it

TRENDING THREADS