Question 16GB ddr4 3200mhz patriot viper steel not achieving rated speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shivan Fernando

Reputable
Aug 26, 2019
Hi guys my ram listed above does not achieve the rated speeds of 3200mhz and the fastest I could get it to was 3066mhz, I am currently using msi click bios 5 but I updated to the latest click bios but it still didn't make a difference so I went back to 5 as it was easier to use, is it something to do with the volatage (already tried xmp), or cooling a fix would be really appreciated

thanks!

System specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 (stock)
COOLING: Wraith stealth
MBU:MSI B450M MORTAR
GPU: crappy oold nvidia card from 2005
(could be the problem)
PSU:EVGA 500W BR
RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHZ 8X2 PATRIOT VIPER STEEL

tsibiski

Reputable
Jun 23, 2019
This is the same issue I am having. @Shivan Fernando. This will not overclock beyond 3066mhz. I have Patriot Viper Steel 4400mhz sticks on an x570 motherboard with a Ryzen 3900x. AMD does not support very many Patriot memory modules beyond the 3066mhz spot, which is exactly where mine is operating at, despite being on a 4400mhz XMP profile.

I asked Patriot about this, and the support rep expressed frustration about AMD support for their memory. Their memory works best with Intel processors. AMD has been working, albeit slowly, to increase the support speed on Patriot memory though. Some sticks can go up to 3600mhz max on x570 motherboards.

tsibiski

Reputable
Jun 23, 2019
I see and when I tried manual overclocking it still sidn't get that 3200mhz ram thanks for the info though let me know if you find a fix.

I will try to remember to post an update here. But if you would like to keep a lookout for the fix, here is the link to do so.

Select "Downloads" and "BIOS". The version that shipped with the motherboard (rev 1) is F4. The newest BIOS is version F5. Updating to that BIOS using the Gigabyte "@bios" utility will help with overclocking in general. You can get the @bios application from the same link above, under Downloads > Utilities. Memory compatibility should get better and better as they release additional BIOS versions in the future. Until then, there is unfortunately no workaround beyond going to their Qualified Vender List which is a pdf containing all of the RAM models and speeds that they have tested and can currently support.

Shivan Fernando

Reputable
Aug 26, 2019
I will try to remember to post an update here. But if you would like to keep a lookout for the fix, here is the link to do so.

Select "Downloads" and "BIOS". The version that shipped with the motherboard (rev 1) is F4. The newest BIOS is version F5. Updating to that BIOS using the Gigabyte "@bios" utility will help with overclocking in general. You can get the @bios application from the same link above, under Downloads > Utilities. Memory compatibility should get better and better as they release additional BIOS versions in the future. Until then, there is unfortunately no workaround beyond going to their Qualified Vender List which is a pdf containing all of the RAM models and speeds that they have tested and can currently support.

However I do not use a gigabyte board I use the msi b450m mortar

tsibiski

Reputable
Jun 23, 2019
Just as an update, I have been in contact with a Gigabyte rep, and they seem to be incapable of understanding what I am asking them. I've spent 2 weeks and 3 questions trying to get them to explain a simple question about if they intend to add Patriot Viper Steel to their QVL (at least for higher mhz). They have dodged my question entirely 3 times, refusing to answer in any way outside of trying to teach me how to overclock my RAM in the most basic way.

I guarantee that I've made it clear how I have maxed my OC at 3066mhz, and they refuse to even acknowledge that Patriot is on their radar as far as high Mhz memory is concerned from a compatibility standpoint.

If they stop playing stupid/games, I will update here with their response. I refused to believe that they are incapable of understanding my question.

Here is my back and forth. If I am being dumb or in-the-wrong, please let me know. I am more than capable of being told that I am being dense. I am happy to correct myself:

Question:I want to know if support for 4400 mhz Patriot Viper Steel RAM is planned to be added in the near future for the x570 Master motherboard (Ryzen 3900x).

I want to know if there are explicit plans because if there isn't, I'd like to get a set of supported memory in your QVL for this motherboard.

If it is planned for the near future, I will just stick with what I have. Thanks for any info you can give me.

Also, if you have general comments on further memory support with this BIOS, I'd appreciate it. I downloaded the F5 BIOS patch, replacing the default F4 BIOS version. The new patch makes overclocking much more stable, but I also cannot overclock the Patriot Viper Steel RAM beyond 3066mhz.

It seems to be hard-locked at that maximum, even when using XMP profiles. It accepts overclocking up to 4400 mhz, and seems stable, but despite the settings, it always stays at 3066mhz maximum.

The response, which has disappeared for me is basically them telling me how to manually overclock memory in the BIOS. I told them twice that this is NOT what I am asking them to tell me to how to do. I merely want them to tell me if they will be adding Patriot memory above 3600mhz.

So far, they refuse to answer my actual question. Here is my follow up response.

Question:So I think we are having a break down in communication here. I don't blame it on you. But please read what I am asking below, rephrased:

I already know how memory works. It is compatible. I am asking if you will be adding this to the Qualified Vendor List. This is a list that you, as Gigabyte, the creator of the x570 Gigabyte Auros Master (and all motherboards) provides. In a QVL, you add the names of memory modules that you explicitly have tested and made tweaks to the bios (if necessary to tweak on a case by case basis), to allow the product to reach its advertised speed.

I know how overclocking works. I maxed the overclock out at 3066mhz. It will not go above. I am asking if Gigabyte has this memory module from Patriot on a list of products that you intend to add to the QVL in the future.

Last edited:

tsibiski

Reputable
Jun 23, 2019
Ryzen 5 2600
Specs:
Integrated Memory Controller
Max TypeDDR4-2933
https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/amd/ryzen_5/2600

You wrote you were unsatisfied when the fastest you could get it to was 3066mhz. If your new to overclocking, you may need to OC the CPU to go higher.

My Ryzen 3900x is overclocked to 4.6mhz (it's max). I seriously won out in the silicon lottery. My cpu is bomb. The problem isn't that. The problem is that AMD has not gotten good support going for some memory outside of the largest players in the RAM business. Patriot is a secondary company, and a Patriot support representative explained that they have some problems with AMD supporting their memory above 3200mhz, in particular.

And my Gigabyte Auros Master does not have any Patriot memory on its QVL above 3200 save for one model, the 3600mhz max model RAM. All other sticks, like 4000mhz and 4400mhz max out theoretically at 3200mhz on Ryzen and this motherboard. Although in practice it maxes at 3066mhz for me, and seemingly multiple others.

Gigabyte and AMD are adding more and more support though with each BIOS update.

For example, with BIOS vF4, I maxed at 3066 mhz memory clock, and 1666mhz fabric clock. After upgrading to v F5, I was able to boost it to 3066mhz for the fabric clock, to match the memory clock.

tsibiski

Reputable
Jun 23, 2019
Just got Gigabyte's response after I posted above

Unfortunately we do not have the resources to constantly update the memory support list as there is such a large amount of memory available on the market and we will not be able to verify them all.
If you are planning on overclocking, it would be suggested you look into the memory which is on our QVL list for the best chance to Overclock

Thank you

Hi guys my ram listed above does not achieve the rated speeds of 3200mhz and the fastest I could get it to was 3066mhz, I am currently using msi click bios 5 but I updated to the latest click bios but it still didn't make a difference so I went back to 5 as it was easier to use, is it something to do with the volatage (already tried xmp), or cooling a fix would be really appreciated

thanks!

System specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 (stock)
COOLING: Wraith stealth
MBU:MSI B450M MORTAR
GPU: crappy oold nvidia card from 2005
(could be the problem)
PSU:EVGA 500W BR
RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHZ 8X2 PATRIOT VIPER STEEL

Ryzen Gen1 and Gen2 have less memory compatibility than Ryzen Gen3. I have tried two GSkill kits and they maxed at 2800Mhz with my 1800X. Be sure to pickup the highest clocked QVL RAM from your motherboard manufacturer website. I did and got the Viper 4 3400 C16 stable at rated speed.

There is no guarantee that your RAM will run at advertised speed if you choose RAM that is not in the QVL list of your motherboard manufacturer website

eternalabys

Reputable
Nov 8, 2018
Have you tried changing the seating of your RAM? I did a stupid as well and placed them in the 1st and 3rd slots, when you need to put it in 2nd and 4th slots, I was running around like a headless chicken till I thought about it after 3 days of hair pulling. I have a 3200G which is a second gen CPU at it's core, It runs perfectly fine with the XMP profile it came with. (which is at 3200Mhz)

Status
Not open for further replies.