[SOLVED] 16gb dual channel or 24gb single channel

Samuel-212

Prominent
Jan 25, 2023
Hello ,

I have bought a micro ATX motherboard to pair with an I3-12100f. Since the motherboard , Asus h610m a , has only 2 slots of RAM , I am somehow stuck and can't decide whether I should buy 2x8gb Ram sticks and use them in dual channel or just go with one 16gb and one 8gb RAM sticks and futureproof a little bit . By the way my GPU is an RTX 3070 , I know my CPU will bottleneck the GPU , but I bought the GPU for the price of an RTX 3060 from my brother , so I don't care . By the way I cannot afford to buy 2x16gb sticks, since I am on a tight budget .:disrelieved:

The prospective dual channel configuration : 2x8gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz
The prospective single channel configuration : 16gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz CL16 + 8gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 CL16

Thank you very much for helping 🙏🙏

Solution
I am somehow stuck and can't decide whether I should buy 2x8gb Ram sticks and use them in dual channel or
just go with one 16gb and one 8gb RAM sticks and futureproof a little bit .
By the way I cannot afford to buy 2x16gb sticks, since I am on a tight budget .:disrelieved:
Save until you can afford 2x16GB.

If you get 2x8GB and some future game requires more than 16GB, then you'll have to replace them.
If you get 8GB+16GB, you get lowered performance and will have to replace 8GB module eventually.
If you get single 16GB module now and another 16GB module later, then they might not play well together. Better get 2x16GB kit.
I am somehow stuck and can't decide whether I should buy 2x8gb Ram sticks and use them in dual channel or
just go with one 16gb and one 8gb RAM sticks and futureproof a little bit .
By the way I cannot afford to buy 2x16gb sticks, since I am on a tight budget .:disrelieved:

If you get 2x8GB and some future game requires more than 16GB, then you'll have to replace them.
If you get 8GB+16GB, you get lowered performance and will have to replace 8GB module eventually.
If you get single 16GB module now and another 16GB module later, then they might not play well together. Better get 2x16GB kit.

Reactions: Samuel-212
Solution

Samuel-212

Prominent
Jan 25, 2023

Alright then , so I think I will have to wait a little longer. Thank you for helping 🙏