[SOLVED] 16gb enough?

May 13, 2020
i have a 2080 super with 16gb of ram and planning on getting a ryzen 7 3700x. should i get more ram aswell or will this be enough?

Solution
For gaming I’ve not seen anything to say 32GB is worthwhile over 16GB. This is a random comparison but there are plenty more showing similar
View: https://youtu.be/Kef3EEU5WcM

Now I actually do have 32GB in my system with a 3700x and 2080S. I mainly got 32GB as I do create some large spreadsheets for work. I have seen 16-17GB usage for total system when gaming, trouble is just because it uses that much does not mean it needs it as Windows is quite good at using more RAM when it available. However I would not be surprised if we saw the odd game seeing a benefit from >16GB in the not to distant future. We have gone from 8GB being plenty to 16GB being preferred in a few years.
May 13, 2020
i have a 2080 super with 16gb of ram and planning on getting a ryzen 7 3700x. should i get more ram aswell or will this be enough?
I mean if youre using it for gaming, 16 GB is more than sufficient. But if youre going to use it for music production and creative design, upgrading your ram is going to help you in the longer run. You wont find your app crashing in the middle of an intensive project. So its all about priorities really.

For gaming I’ve not seen anything to say 32GB is worthwhile over 16GB. This is a random comparison but there are plenty more showing similar
View: https://youtu.be/Kef3EEU5WcM

Now I actually do have 32GB in my system with a 3700x and 2080S. I mainly got 32GB as I do create some large spreadsheets for work. I have seen 16-17GB usage for total system when gaming, trouble is just because it uses that much does not mean it needs it as Windows is quite good at using more RAM when it available. However I would not be surprised if we saw the odd game seeing a benefit from >16GB in the not to distant future. We have gone from 8GB being plenty to 16GB being preferred in a few years.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution

Spec13

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013

Hi mate,

Whilst a lot of people tend to harp on that anything above 16GB of DDR4 is pointless, it depends on the individual's usage requirements. Monitor your typical RAM usage and if it reaches near to 16GB on a regular basis, then yes, it is worthwhile getting extra RAM.

For me, as an example, I am intending to pull the trigger on 32GB of DDR4, but that is because I use my system in an a-typical way and therefore am reasonably likely to experience the benefit of that RAM.

Cheers,

Trav

Another consideration is will buying 32GB cause you to compromise on other components? If yes then very likely it’s not worth it, if no then there is no harm and you have it available should you need it. Might not be the most efficient way to buy parts but then neither is paying for RGB.

TRENDING THREADS