Question 16Gb for a Ryzen 3600x build

Dec 27, 2019
I'm looking into ram for a new build, looking into 16GB for a Ryzen 3600x. I'm aware that 3200Mhz seems to be the best value for performance metric, but after looking into things apparently the CAS Latency is just as important.

A friend recommended this kit https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_311_1326&item_id=103828 which appears to be 10NS. Alternatively this is on sale https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_311_1326&item_id=103816 which appears to be the same when doing the math (15/3000*2000), but I'm not sure if it's that simple.

I'd like to just have a decent valued ram set for my machine that require too much tinkering to work out of the box. I also plan on using this mobo, but am willing to switch if there's a better value https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=26_1832_1833&item_id=139847

CAS Latency is identified as CL.

You can see their speeds are different as well. They are likely the same quality, but get the faster kit DDR4 3200. The latency is higher because it is faster. That's how it typically goes. You gain more performance from higher speed rather than lower latency.

Though, you can overclock the CL15 to be the same as the CL16 kit. Difference is you have to tweak it manually. Run the DDR4 3000 CL15 kit as DDR4 3200 CL16 and it is very likely to work just fine.

*Update:
The motherboard will require a BIOS update to be compatible with Ryzen 3000. It may already have the update, but you should find out before buying it.

Reactions: snacks88
Dec 27, 2019
CAS Latency is identified as CL.

You can see their speeds are different as well. They are likely the same quality, but get the faster kit DDR4 3200. The latency is higher because it is faster. That's how it typically goes. You gain more performance from higher speed rather than lower latency.

Though, you can overclock the CL15 to be the same as the CL16 kit. Difference is you have to tweak it manually. Run the DDR4 3000 CL15 kit as DDR4 3200 CL16 and it is very likely to work just fine.

*Update:
The motherboard will require a BIOS update to be compatible with Ryzen 3000. It may already have the update, but you should find out before buying it.
Thanks, apparently they're willing to do a bios upgrade in store if I purchase all the parts from there which is idk, since I'd like to shop around. I spoke to someone there basically saying that the x570 boards are highly recommended for my build but I'm not exactly sure if that'll effect anything with the ram and everything.

zesun

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2015
I can't speak for those particurlar speed/CL, but i do have trident z in my 3600x build and i highly recommend those.
As far as motherboards go, i would go for a x470 or x570 chipset, seeing as you're buying new.

Dec 27, 2019
So my current build is as listed
Motherboard: Msi b450 tomahawk max (most current bios)
CPU: ryzen 5 3600 (no overclock)
GPU: XFX radeon rx 5700xt raw II
RAM: 16gb Corsair vengeance lpx 3200MHz
PSU: Corsair 750 + 80 bronze
I think the core parts are enough. My computer has be doing these weird reboots where im not losing power to the computer the system will shut down and im up and running in about 25 sec. It only does this when im in a game. Currently playing Ghost recon break point and apex legends and it happens on both. I have already tried uninstalling and reinstalling both gpu and motherboard drivers several times. Checked the ram in all 4 slots single channel config and dual channel config. Nothing seem to work. The weirdest part is sometimes like just last week i could play games and stream while listening to music and record with no issues for hours on hours. I dont know if i have a bad gpu of psu or a bad board but i dont want to start ripping this out a replacing things if i dont have to. Everything is set to stock config no overclocking of any kind. And yes i have tried different wall outlets and different room to rule out a faulty wall socket. Please help!!!

no mini dump log no blue screen just a reboot. system doesnt lose power leds stay on fans keep spinning. Asked 3 other co workers that also build computer and we are all stumped on this.

zesun

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2015
So my current build is as listed
Motherboard: Msi b450 tomahawk max (most current bios)
CPU: ryzen 5 3600 (no overclock)
GPU: XFX radeon rx 5700xt raw II
RAM: 16gb Corsair vengeance lpx 3200MHz
PSU: Corsair 750 + 80 bronze
I think the core parts are enough. My computer has be doing these weird reboots where im not losing power to the computer the system will shut down and im up and running in about 25 sec. It only does this when im in a game. Currently playing Ghost recon break point and apex legends and it happens on both. I have already tried uninstalling and reinstalling both gpu and motherboard drivers several times. Checked the ram in all 4 slots single channel config and dual channel config. Nothing seem to work. The weirdest part is sometimes like just last week i could play games and stream while listening to music and record with no issues for hours on hours. I dont know if i have a bad gpu of psu or a bad board but i dont want to start ripping this out a replacing things if i dont have to. Everything is set to stock config no overclocking of any kind. And yes i have tried different wall outlets and different room to rule out a faulty wall socket. Please help!!!

no mini dump log no blue screen just a reboot. system doesnt lose power leds stay on fans keep spinning. Asked 3 other co workers that also build computer and we are all stumped on this.
This is just a guess, but try to disable fast startup (windows setting).
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-windows-10-fast-startup