Question 16GB installed, but only 8gb usable.

Jul 28, 2022
Hello, i have a problem. just added RAM to my pc, but when i turn on pc, it says that there is 16gb ram, but only 8gb ram is usable[16.0 GB (usable : 7.93 GB)] TASK MANAGER SAYS :(other 8gb - HARDWARE RESERVED) . Any solutions ?
motherboard : b450m pro-m2 max (ms-7b84) few minutes ago just updated my BIOS to latest version (not beta)
cpu: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor 3.40 GHz
gpu: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660
Ram 2x8gb G.skill Aegis F4-3000C16S-16GISB, DDR4, 8 GB, 3000MHz (both the same)
Windows 10 Home 64x
In the BIOS it says 8GB, but on the "board explorer" it detects that both slots are occupied. I just tried using slots 1 and 3 and it still shows 8.1GB set to "hardware reserved" just only when i open TASK MANAGER or MYPC>PROPERTIES it says only 8gb ram usable.

there is only 2slots only in MB, tryed to change them in different spots(no solved) tryed to remove 1 ram and leave only 1(everything is fine then )
IMPORTANT: second Ram i just get like hour ago, and when i put it in only one and turn on my pc, there is a message :
CPU or Memory Changed!!! Please enter Setup to configure your system. Press F1 to Run Setup. Press F2 to load default values"
Pressed F1 , open bios, closed it and pc turn on.
F2 just closes that NOTE and turn on pc.

Sorry for my english, hope you guys can understand and help me.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2022
so not in 1 ram kit? but 2 individual stick?

turn the xmp profile on?
sorry, i dont understand what you mean by saying : "
so not in 1 ram kit? but 2 individual stick?"

I have 2 sticks of ram, both the same

EDIT: i just turn on xmp profile 1 in bios
still the same

Last edited:

CompuGuy71

Proper
Jul 20, 2022
i dont think so, one is 2019(it was inside when i buy a pc) and other one i just get today, so its 2022 i guess, but specs are the same.

Mixing and matching RAM is a dangerous business, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't especially with different speeds and timings even if they come from the same manufacturer.

Just out of curiosity was your PC a pre-built system? They really don't like changes to their internal components.

Reactions: KyaraM

KyaraM

Admirable
Yeah, just putting in a second stick of RAM is a horrible idea in general. If you want to upgrade RAM, always get a paired set, meaning, two sticks in the same package. Your issues hint at that being the issue. I think you should send back the single stick you bought and get a kit instead. Take out the stick that originally came with your PC and put in the matched pair.

Reactions: CompuGuy71

ArmanEsf

Prominent
Jul 25, 2022
Based on your screenshots your RAMs are not running at the same speed(which makes them different), and because BIOS says 8GB memory I don't think it is a windows problem but u can give it a try:
Open run(Win+R) type msconfig and hit enter in the window go to the Boot tab open the advance option and check if the maximum memory is enabled, if it is and has a value(8192 maybe) increase it to 16384(16GB) or disable it and then reboot and see if it fixed the issue.

Jul 28, 2022
Mixing and matching RAM is a dangerous business, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't especially with different speeds and timings even if they come from the same manufacturer.

Just out of curiosity was your PC a pre-built system? They really don't like changes to their internal components.
Yeah, just putting in a second stick of RAM is a horrible idea in general. If you want to upgrade RAM, always get a paired set, meaning, two sticks in the same package. Your issues hint at that being the issue. I think you should send back the single stick you bought and get a kit instead. Take out the stick that originally came with your PC and put in the matched pair.
Thanks for answering, what kind of rams should i buy? need to look for the same like this, or i can choose different kind of product ?