Question 16GB Memory Advice

Oct 16, 2019
Hi

I currently have a Lenovo IdeaPad 520-15IKB, and I am looking to upgrade the from 8gb to 16gb, as well as upgrading from the HDD to roughly a 500gb SSD.
I looked around and contacted a few computer stores about how I should go about this and how much they would charge if I were to give them my computer. I was quoted around $260 for the following:

2x8gb ddr3 ram: $120
480 gb ssd: $95
windows installation on new ssd: $40

do you think this is a reasonable price to pay for the upgrade? although I have no experience in hardware installation, I am considering installing these things myself. I am currently looking for ram sticks and ssds' to buy, and after running my computer through the 'Crucial system scanner', I have became confused what to buy in order to upgrade the ram.

At the top it states that I only have ''1 slot (1 bank of 1)'' but after looking in task manager it says I have 2 slots. It also says that my maximum memory is 16gb, and that my standard memory is 4gb and removable, so would that mean that only one 4gb stick is removable, and the other 4gb is stuck to the motherboard? If this is the case, what ram stick should I buy?
Or if actually both ram sticks are removable, should I just buy 2 x 8gb ddr4 ram, or just 1 x 16 gb ddr4?

Please excuse my lack of knowledge in this area, I am new to computers.

Thanks

Encryption+

Upstanding
Sep 26, 2019
I'm not sure what your looking at but all the specs I can find for that computer say one slot of RAM with a maximum of 16 GB .

Replace the parts yourself it will be $75 cheaper. Ram and storage drives are the easiest parts to upgrade. Here's the link for compatible 16 GB RAM for $72, and a very good quality 500 GB SSD for $75. And I guarantee, unless you specify which drive you want (and then check it after), the computer store will put in the cheapest drive they can find and pocket the difference.

Installing windows isn't hard either if you want to do that yourself.

USAFRet

Titan
Oct 16, 2019
Thank you guys so much for your replies!

I am trying to make this upgrade as cheap as possible, and I have found a reasonably cheaper Crucial BX500 480GB SSD for $50 USD (I am in Australia). Should I just buy a higher quality SSD like a Evo 860 or MX500, or will this cheaper SSD be just fine?

I am also looking to a buy a HDD to USB adapter to transfer files from my HDD to my SDD, and I found some really cheap ones going for a little as $3. Should I play it safe and purchase a more expensive one, or will this cheap adapter work just fine for my needs.

Lastly, would I have to purchase a new windows 10 license again or is there a way to just transfer/reinstall it, as I am still using the same computer?

Edit Since that Crucial DDR4 16gb is sold out, I am looking at a Patriot Viper 4 Serious DDR4 16GB Module which goes for $70. Would you guys recommend Patriot as a good enough brand or should I stay away?

Thanks for all the help guys.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
You do not have to purchase a new OS license.

Cloning is relatively easy. On a laptop, a bit more involved, but still easy.

1. Download and install Macrium Reflect
  2. Obtain a USB dock or cable. I personally wouldn't buy that $3 thing, but you can try it.
  3. Connect the new drive to the USB thing
  4. Run the Macrium application
  5. Select ALL partitions on the existing drive.
  6. Clone to the new drive
  7. Resist the temptation to poke around in the new drive to see if everything is there. Barring an error message, it is. And you couldn't tell anyway
  8. Physically swap drives
  9. See if it boots up. It should.

Encryption+

Upstanding
Sep 26, 2019
You can get the Crucial RAM from here on Newegg's Australia store. I can't get the link you gave for the other memory to stop showing in Italian for some reason, but that RAM looks okay as well. The only issue with it is that it's 2666 MHz which I believe is faster than your computer will go, so you'd be paying extra for speed you can't use.

You can get the SSD off Newegg as well and save on shipping by getting them from the same place. You can also get the Seagate Barracuda SSD for essentially the same price, it's a better quality drive and should last longer as the warranty reflects. It's probably worth the extra 15 AUD.