[SOLVED] 16Gb more RAM or faster RAM?

Apr 8, 2022
Hey,
I am currently playing Satisfactory (with discord and an interactive map on my browser). But my game keeps crashing when saving (luckily it succeeds first) the problem seems to be my memory (it's at 95%) I'm currently using 16gb (4x4gb) 2133Mhz. Do I need more (4x4gb of the same) or faster (eg 3333Mhz) RAM?

i7-5820K
msi x99s gaming7 (with 8 dimm slots)
Nvidia gtx970

Solution
I repeat,
Not sure if you'd actually be able to OC the RAM to 3333 on the board.

If you feel you need 32GB RAM I'd suggest you get a 4x8GB 'kit' to use the quad channel RAM capability of your CPU and motherboard.
If not launching/running Discord - which result in less RAM usage - means no crash possiblity of other issue causing crashes is smaller and I guess you can actually benefit from more RAM.

A 32GB 'kit' is what I'd get. Either 2x16GB or better 4x8GB to be able to run them in quad-channel mode. Otherwise why the X99 board with compatible CPU?

And yes it says that on MSI board page but it's unlikely the CPU and that board can do 3333"Mhz".

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I doubt you'll be able to go beyond 2800MHz on that motherboard, due to the SA voltage being notorious for impeding your overclocks on the ram and to a degree your processor. I had a build with an Asus Rampage V Extreme and the highest I got 4x G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200MHz rams was 2800MHz.

I'd also suggest seeing what resources are being used after you've booted into OS GUI. On a side note, please parse the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Reactions: Nachtbrakerke

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Mixing and matching RAM is always a gamble even same RAM with exactly same specs bought as different 'kits'.

If you feel you need 32GB RAM I'd suggest you get a 4x8GB 'kit' to use the quad channel RAM capability of your CPU and motherboard.

hanoakly

Prominent
Apr 8, 2022
Hello.

From my experience mixing different memory clockspeed may cause instability and sometimes crashes due to incompability. Mixing several memory speed will cause the memory speed to be set to the lowest. Switching to faster memory will most likly just be a waste of money as faster RAM will not solve the problem.
Normaly 16GB memory is sufficent for most tasks, even multitasking as you discribe. Doubling the memory might solve you issue but it sound more like a software problem then a memory problem.

I would suggest clearing the cache in the game and the browser first, then reinstall the game. Then a hardware upgrade might be the next step.

Apr 8, 2022
Thanks for the response,

Normally I build a new one every 6 to 7 years (3th build in 2014) and I've been waiting for a year and hope the prices to drop (https://pcpartpicker.com/list/LZrnLs). So you understand that I don't want to put too much money into it anymore.
I went to the specs and the motherboard should support up to 3333Mhz (https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/X99S-GAMING-7/Specification) and my OS uses around 2gb.

After some searching I found exactly the same RAM (https://www.ebay.com/itm/125241190198?epid=2164352427&hash=item1d28f4e736:g:tnIAAOSwATxiSz0N) so I wouldn't be mixing but it is used and a don't know I can trust it. I found new 2x (2x4gb) 32000Mhz at 200€
Also when i don't use discord the usage is around 90% and the game doesn't crash.
I know how to put together a computer and i know how to choose parts that are compatible with each other but i've never overclocked anything and i'm far from an expert.

CPU: i7-5820K
Motherboard: MSI x99s gaming7
Ram: Crucial 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 2133Mhz
SSD/HDD: Crucial_CT500MX200SSD1
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
PSU: Corsair CX750
Chassis: Cool Master ?

Last edited:

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
I repeat,

If not launching/running Discord - which result in less RAM usage - means no crash possiblity of other issue causing crashes is smaller and I guess you can actually benefit from more RAM.

A 32GB 'kit' is what I'd get. Either 2x16GB or better 4x8GB to be able to run them in quad-channel mode. Otherwise why the X99 board with compatible CPU?

And yes it says that on MSI board page but it's unlikely the CPU and that board can do 3333"Mhz".

Reactions: Nachtbrakerke
Solution
Doesn't matter who makes the two additional RAM sticks you are debating adding, if they are additional sticks, then clearly they are not from from a single 4x /6x stick kit, and, ergo, if you are adding more sticks to a pre-existing kit, which is still 'mixing it'.

You'd want a quad stick kit to do that right,... not just 'add two more sticks'...

Apr 8, 2022
Thanks a lot guys,
without all of you I probably would have tried to expand the existing memory and got in trouble. (or a more expensive kit with 3200Mhz which would not fully use by the CPU) I ordered Corsair LPX 32 GB DDR4-2666 Quad-Kit RAM for 150€. I think I can go on for another year and hopefully the prices will have dropped a bit so that I can build a new one.
Tnx

Last edited:
Reactions: Satan-IR