16GB Nexus 7 Can't Perfrom With Storage Nearly Full?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amdwilliam1985

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
I feel sorry for all those 16GB users, and at the same time I feel better about my $200 8GB now.

Hopefully Google will address it asap, it's their first tablet, so I won't be surprise that it has a few bugs like this.

lilotimz

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
Well Asus did design this in less than half a year so there's bound to be some bugs but eh. Having used Asus for most computer parts I can safely say that they'll correct this problem one way or another. This IS googles premier tablet you know.

christarp

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
[citation][nom]jasonpaul[/nom]Reading this makes me happy I canceled my preorder... Samsung's tablet seems like a much better choice.[/citation]
they're not

jerm1027

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
[citation][nom]amdwilliam1985[/nom]I feel sorry for all those 16GB users, and at the same time I feel better about my $200 8GB now.Hopefully Google will address it asap, it's their first tablet, so I won't be surprise that it has a few bugs like this.[/citation]
Google is normally really good about their hardware. I think the problem is more so with rushing rather than inexperience, especially considering their manufacturer for the Nexus 7 is ASUS. I mean the Nexus One is still kicking to this day with no problems. Google gave Asus ridiculously high specs to follow-through on and they had 6 months to get it out the door. If this thing didn't have bugs, I would have worshiped Asus as a manufacturing god.

G

You'd think they would add enough RAM so they wouldn't have to use a page file / virtual memory.

Google should have never used Linux as the base to build android on top of in the first place.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Oh dear, this is not a good advert for Google, let's hope it's just an isolated incident, otherwise the buying public will vote with their feet
Even amongst rabid fanbois, there is no loyalty these days

G

"Google should have never used Linux as the base to build android on top of in the first place."

Android would be nowhere near as popular as it is today if it was built on top of a closed source like iOS or WP. It's what makes Android a fantastic and delightful experience.

G

"Google should have never used Linux as the base to build android on top of in the first place."

How laughable. Are you heavily invested in Microsoft or Apple?
Linux is rock solid and reliable, a proven OS. Apple stuff is based on BSD UNIX. Linux and Apple iOS, can be traced back to humble, powerful UNIX system V.

beetlejuicegr

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
Yes i agree guys, this is a problem that will be fixed asap and yes i have a Nexus One still going strong after my 2year old daughter drooled on it inside the trackball, after me dropping it on various floors countless times..the last 2.5 years :)

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Sorry, but I have to give the author (Kevin) a hard time as he lauded the Nexus as the next best thing to sliced bread when it first came out. It seems he should have waited and wrote a proper review after owning it awhile.

As for me, well I'm still happy with my Kindle Fire. And I'm really glad I didn't go out and swap it for a Nexus after reading the first article. I was considering it (seriously).

G

"and while I like the way Ice Cream Sandwich will allow applications to run simultaneously in the background,"

Just a correction, Nexus 7 runs Jelly Bean, not ICS.

Axelion

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
My Nexus 7 16gb suffers slowdown issue after two weeks of use. Games are laggy and apps run slow. I had to reset my Nexus 7 to factory settings and disable google current and google play magazine that some people on the net suggested.

Another 2 weeks of use now and my Nexus 7 is still running fast. I don't think the storage is the cause of the issue because I suffered no performance degradation even when my storage is not even close to full(I think it was 6gb left). I'm sure google bloatwares that are causing it!!!

tendoboy1984

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
How do the Kindle Fire and Samsung Galaxy Tab compare to the Nexus 7? Do they have any of the same performance issues?

I will never buy a Kindle Fire, because I don't want to use a locked-down, butchered version of Android. And I especially don't want to use Amazon's crappy appstore, which is a graveyard compared to iTunes and Google Play.

I don't get the appeal of the Kindle Fire. It runs a customized, locked-down version of Android that will never be updated by Google. The Amazon Appstore has a fraction of the apps available on iTunes / Apple App Store and Google Play. If Amazon wants to compete with Google and Apple, they need to give developers more freedom, because the entire Kindle experience seems half-assed compared to what you get on an iPad or Android device.

I don't know why Google allowed Amazon to use Android if they were going to butcher it so much. It goes against what Android is all about: freedom and openness.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]Axelion[/nom]My Nexus 7 16gb suffers slowdown issue after two weeks of use. Games are laggy and apps run slow. I had to reset my Nexus 7 to factory settings and disable google current and google play magazine that some people on the net suggested. Another 2 weeks of use now and my Nexus 7 is still running fast. I don't think the storage is the cause of the issue because I suffered no performance degradation even when my storage is not even close to full(I think it was 6gb left). I'm sure google bloatwares that are causing it!!![/citation]

Wait, you can disable bloatwares? All of the smartphones I've seen have some bloatware on them.

Undeleteable trial bloatware that sit on your storage unless if you purchase them.

G

Nowhere near using my 16 GB, but I do notice a slowdown during the day with the apps running in the backbround, even though they're not active. Even app killer apps don't do the trick, I have to power off and then back on again to get it running right. That being said, I've got no complaints, it does everything an iPad does for hundreds less.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
@tendoboy

I haven't had any performance issues with my Kindle Fire. I agree with you about the locked down Android OS. The interface can have a slightly less than snappy feel sometimes, but never bad. But the UI is actually pretty solid once you get used to it. Also it's easy to change the default UI (GoLauncher) and customize it however you want without any hacks/rooting it. While the Amazon Appstore isn't great, you can still find pretty much anything you could want. My experience is when there is so many apps ( hundreds of thousands ) it's a pain in the ass to filter through them. Also, it means there are most likely thousands of garbage apps as well.

As an example I've got a few good gameloft games running perfect Modern Combat 3, etc. I've got snes and genesis emulators that run perfect . I can stream Netflix, listen to the radio, watch youtube videos, surf the net, listen to music. I've even got it setup as a wireless midi controller. I mean it does anything you could want it to do. And remember before the Nexus it was the only budget tablet (got mine for $170).

The Nexus is appealing, and better in alot of ways than the Fire. But I don't think it's that much better honestly. In fact imho they missed one of the biggest selling points over the Fire, storage! They should have included a micro sd card slot.

That's my experience in a nutshell.

darkchazz

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
Having this issue on my 16gb nexus 7.
A custom kernel and some build.prop tweaks can speed things up, but not enough.

No MicroSD slot is disappointing... Google can take its cloud service and stick it up its ass.
Also, I got the screen separation issue = f*** you Asus.
One more thing: Disappointed in Tegra3 performance (Abysmal memory bandwidth + poor gpu performance). sadly I fell for the marketing hype (POWAFUL QUAD COAR!!!).

But what can say? glad I paid $249 and not $500+ for this device.
My next tablet will definitely be one that's manufactured by samsung, with a ARM A15+Mali SoC. staying away from Asus for now.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
it seems like the device is not running a trim like function. one problem that most mobile devices have is multitsking with the flash storage. for example, do a file transfer over the LAN, then try launching a application, even though the CPU usage is low, the device will hang until that transfer is done.

I would like if tomshardware would do a FF fill on the free space (to manually trim the drive) then rerun some of the performance test to see if that fixes it.

brosif_my_nif

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
Same problem with my 16GB Nexus 7. Filled it to the brim with movies for a business trip and eventually reset it because I did not know what was wrong with it. It was terribly slow when it was full. I sure hope they fix this. Thinking about dumping it for a TF300.

I do hope Google and Asus will look into this and the Enterprise WPA WiFi (PEAP) issue.
I had to wipe the device performing a factory data reset to get the device back to normal. But that it is a hassle to delete everything and start from scratch just to fill it up and have the same issue re-appear.
I contacted Google about these issues a couple of times and the reps they were clueless. I expected more from Google.

Status
Not open for further replies.