16gb of ram with pagefile

Status
Not open for further replies.

brettk30

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013
After hours and hours of reading debates of pagefile on, off, or on ramdisk. I believe I like the idea of it being on local disk C. Turning it off has to many people argueing and putting it on a ramdisk does not make sense(unless it is to free up ssd storage space, but performance wise no increase?)

so the big question is What size should my pagefile be? by default it is 16gb but says 24gb is recommended.

Solution

You're going to love this then. NOTHING. SET IT TO NOTHING.

With 16 GB of RAM I promise you that all you will get out of VMM is an almost insignificant drop in performance.

And if that is what you want, then why not just under-clock the processor a little.

There is another consideration too that no-one wants to talk...

neieus

Distinguished
The page file is used for many things and I won't go into them all. The only reason IMO that you would want a page file equal to or greater than your current amount of ram is if you want to capture a complete memory dump. Windows 7 and up does a fine job managing your page file if left on automatic. Speaking for myself as I don't have an SSD drive but if I did and I actually wanted to keep the page file I would just move it to the nonSSD drive and on automatic. The reason it's telling you 24GB is because it's calculated 1.5x your amount of ram.

himnextdoor

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013

You're going to love this then. NOTHING. SET IT TO NOTHING.

With 16 GB of RAM I promise you that all you will get out of VMM is an almost insignificant drop in performance.

And if that is what you want, then why not just under-clock the processor a little.

There is another consideration too that no-one wants to talk about - SSD's.

The 'swap' file is regularly written to. When the system is idle, Windows will create pages of virtual RAM on the drive. Which, in itself, is a good thing as this reduces the actual time it takes to swap the data. It helps if half of the data was already copied pre-emptively.

But the existence of a 'swap file' puts a great deal of pressure on the SSD controller which has to re-map and move data around in order to decrease the wear on the memory elements.

If it was up to Windows, it would just sit there scouring away at, what was it, 24 GB of the memory area. The controller has to protect the memory from being worn away.

So, VMM is indubitably responsible for excessive and fundamentally unnecessary wear on our drives.

Yeah, yeah, sometimes an application will fail because VMM is disabled but this is a shortcoming of the software producer. VMM is not some kind of miracle cure for faulty apps - the faulty apps have been coded without consideration to the fact that some of us with loads of RAM don't have any reason to waste billions of write operations in order to reduce the system performance by about 1.2 %.

If you have a problem with an app, you can always enable VMM to see if that fixes it.

But you'll probably end up just turning it off again.

Remember, Microsoft want your drives to fail. People with failed drives buy new ones. That makes Western Digital happy. It makes the technicians who install the drives happy. And they are so happy that they will push new O/S's onto us. And that makes Microsoft happy.

It's a fact dude; VMM is to modern systems with lots of memory what an ashtray is to a motorbike.

Fact.

And you are correct, people disagree about the benefits of VMM but very few approach the argument from a technical perspective and again, Microsoft love this.

So, the BIG answer is 0, nada, zilch. Niente.

Hope that helps. :)

Oh! And the argument that goes; what do you do when there is a power outage and you have a have a database that you've been working on for three days?

Well, what kind of A-hole doesn't press 'Save' every time he takes a sip of coffee?

Besides, back-up power is employed by data collectors to avoid that kind of thing.

And fine, build in a mandatory 'autosave feature' in order to save the idiots from themselves.

Fine let people with only 1 GB of RAM and VMM enabled play Battlefield at 3 fps. But...

FACT: YOUR SSD WILL LAST LONGER IF VMM IS DISABLED.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.