16gb other? 24gb ddr3 installed

The Mayday Channel

Prominent
Mar 21, 2017
So I have a X58 system. I7 920. I put 3x 4gb corsair vengeance into slots 2 4 6 and some 3x 4gb patriot ram into slots 1 3 5. Windows boots up fine blah blah blah everything is good. But when I needed to test my other ram, I swapped all the ram out and when I booted, in task manager it said 16gb other for the ram section. It usually says 'ddr3' after the number. And the thing is that I tested with all 4gb sticks. 16 out of 24gb was showing. So I thought that was a fluke, swapped the ram out for its original ( corsair and patriot) but when I booted it had the same issue (16gb other). I have tried reseating all of the ram, then swap config ( corsair in odd number slot, patriot in even number slot) didn't work. My only explanation is that when I installed the ram, I could have bumped the cpu cooler thus moving the cpu a slight bit (so it doesn't contact some pins?) Need help please

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Have you cleared the CMOS? Mixing/matching RAM can be problematic, and if you've had a working configuration that you've then switched out to 'test' other RAM, you've probably confused the system.

Clear the CMOS first of all and, failing that, you may have to manually configure speeds/timings in the BIOS.