Question 16GB RAM installed but only 7.9GB is usable after BIOS update ?

May 11, 2023
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
B450 TOMAHAWK (MS-7C02)

So a few days ago i had to change my CPU paste and after that the ram slot 3-4 started not working as i was
told to update my bios after checking for dust and whatnot after updating the bios i manage to get the ram sticks work and start up the PC but i encountered this problem , tried memtest86 and windows memory diagnostic but showed no problem , also noticed that if i have both ram sticks at some point my pc freeze/crash or i get BSOD.

XleOjugRQal-Y-kEhxSmI8uITxBOS1GqwLTPJaz078bIJC8hrVtc5tCRROTU1gUgmZF97QALSce1L_jP_-lsv6_r03alY7yERO6jAPOP

3Tz8apeQfShLm-ue-Lm4vt9_vVKzcqYXVu9VLnK2WpvL28NYVIF2skyNbcu97E7j2N8KxNUgVa1x30ctdZdJW9jhIk8sYrE-stAhrvg
yfe2fDPhickgDuHnMxRmEWSgzGcmkugvoFos7lGvOpgOkD16aLi0wZWFiCP7DJL7UUc7E6X54PcR92e0r5fWx5ovXcral4_acX77IiE

Last edited:
May 11, 2023
It seems that one of the RAM stick has a problem.

Did you clean the contacts of both sticks and try to swap the RAM slot?
Yes, i also cleaned the slots with soft brush and tried all slots but still the same tho when i slot them on 1-2 slots i get the full 16 but after an hour or so i get BSOD, while i slot them on 1-3 as my motherboard says the pc crashes after 15-20 min of browser work, i am thinking to purchase new set of ram but as i am not sure if its the mobo or one of the ram sticks thats doing the problem :/

Unfortunately with something like this the CPU/mob/RAM are all potential problem sources. I would suggest pulling the CPU out and making sure that there are no bent pins or anything on the socket. Also ensure you have good mounting pressure as there is always a possibility of contact problems.

Reactions: YoplePunch
May 11, 2023
Unfortunately with something like this the CPU/mob/RAM are all potential problem sources. I would suggest pulling the CPU out and making sure that there are no bent pins or anything on the socket. Also ensure you have good mounting pressure as there is always a possibility of contact problems.
I did check for bent pins or paste but nothing was wrong as cooler i am using wraith prism, already purchased new set of ram and if they dont help guess ill be back looking what it may be wrong -.-

I always hate things like this because it's really hard to troubleshoot without spare parts/systems to test with. Every time I've moved to a new platform this type of thing is my main worry. Hoping it's just the RAM!

May 11, 2023
I always hate things like this because it's really hard to troubleshoot without spare parts/systems to test with. Every time I've moved to a new platform this type of thing is my main worry. Hoping it's just the RAM!
Yeah , i am hoping its the ram because i don't know what to do anymore but since i removed the stick that i think its bad i haven't encountered any crashes or BSOD, well the new kit is coming on Saturday we will see than, fingers cross that its just bad ram stick :D

Last edited:
May 11, 2023
Yeah , i am hoping its the ram because i don't know what to do anymore but since i removed the stick that i think its bad i haven't encountered any crashes or BSOD, well the new kit is coming on Saturday we will see than, fingers cross that its just bad ram stick :D
Update: Even the new ram didnt help