16GB RAM installed, Windows recognises it as 12GB and says only 7.98Gb is usable.

shutthewindow

Prominent
Jun 18, 2017
I have 2 sticks of 1600mhz DDR3 RAM installed however when using dual channel ram slots (1-3, 2-4) windows only recognises 12GB and says only 7.98 is usable. CPU-Z says I have 16GB installed and when I put the ram sticks next to eachother (slots 1-2) I'm back to 16GB so don't think its a hardware error. Any ideas of what I could do?

tony.sleight

Prominent
Sep 5, 2017

I think you will find the GTX 970 is also accessing 4gb shared RAM which will account for the discrepancy in your installed and Windows RAM figures. You can see the resources the GTX is using if you have the NVIDIA control panel. Right click on the desktop and select 'NVIDIA control panel', then when the panel opens select 'system information'. Ensure the display tab is selected and scroll the details window and you will see 'shared system memory: 4094MB

shutthewindow

Prominent
Jun 18, 2017

I checked and it turns out its using 8190MB which I assume is 8 gig. It's strange that it's using that much, is there any way to reduce that?

tony.sleight

Prominent
Sep 5, 2017

tony.sleight

Prominent
Sep 5, 2017
The only method I am aware of to reduce video shared memory is via your computer BIOS settings. I have the same motherboard as your self. You may have the 'integrated video device' enabled on your system. It is worth checking your BIOS settings to ensure you are not using shared memory with that device and have it disabled. On my own system I have a 2GB NVIDIA Geforce card and it enables 4GB shared RAM. I cannot find any setting to change this value. Perhaps, and this is pure conjecture, NVIDIA cards reserve 2x on board video RAM in shared memory. Hence, for me, 4GB and for you 8GB.

TRENDING THREADS