16GB RAM modules compatible with ASUS Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition

DevinOgden

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015
So, I've suddenly arrived to a situation that requires a significant more amount of RAM than I currently have. I'm looking at 16GB modules as I feel this will provide me with the flexibility to upgrade to the highest supported capacity available if need be I highly doubt I will need 128GB but I didn't think I would need more than 16GB a week ago either. All I can find is memory modules from Intelligent Memory are supported by the ASUS motherboard, but they are significantly more expensive than other DDR3 16GB modules. I'm wondering if there are any other supported manufactures for this.

Here are my system specs:

Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition
CPU: Intel i7 4930-k
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3 1600 MT/s
GPU: NVidia 780Ti x 2 sli

Also, would my current RAM be compatible with adding a separate branded 16 GB module or would I have to replace it?

Solution
You could try PMing their guy here on the forums send a PM to raja@asus , response may take a short while, got some info the other day but they have him working on a big project in the States at the moment

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Believe the Rampage IV still only supports 64 GB and in a 8x8GB config - haven't seen anything where they have added support for 16GB sticks. They may have, but think it was about 5 weeks ago had a client call Asus and were told 8GB is all it sofficially supports

Emanuel Elmo

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014

sir you are correct. Max 64GB supported on that board.

DevinOgden

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015
Here is their press release for the 16GB modules by Intelligent Memory: http://rog.asus.com/340082014/rampage-motherboards/max-your-mem-128gb-ddr3-support-on-rampage-iv-black-edition-and-asus-x79-motherboards/

But my god are they expensive compared to other 16GB modules...

Emanuel Elmo

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014

this is just my own opinion and many different people have say differently. Mixing and matching memory is never a good idea as it will lead to many headaches for you. Will it work, possible, will you get max performance no.

I have 32GB of Corsair Dominator Memory in my rig and I do a lot of video editing, Photoshop, auto cad, etc. and still plenty of head room left over.

I would suggest looking into corsair. But again, just my two cents.

Emanuel Elmo

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014

good show sir. I have the same board as you. But on Asus website they still say max supported 64GB.

Check it out
https://www.asus.com/us/ROG_ROG/RAMPAGE_IV_BLACK_EDITION/specifications/

By no mean am I saying that what you have there is invalid. All I am saying there seems to be some conflicting info on the Asus website and the forums :)

Cheers

DevinOgden

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015
I've found the need to be running quite a few VMs and at this point it's difficult to tell how many. But I would like to secure at least 64GB. That should give me a fair amount of headroom... for now...

DevinOgden

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015

Hmm... That is very interesting indeed. I'm going to cross my fingers and hope for a maximum capacity of 128GB :na: I guess with this conflicting info it's probably best to just try and contact ASUS support direct. Have you had any experience dealing with them before?

Emanuel Elmo

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014

For VM it is not just the memory but the processor as well. Even if you secure 64GB you will probably be bogged down by your processor and slow everything down.

If you are going to be doing so many VM, why not invest in VMware with vSphere?

Just out of curiosity, you don't have to answer but why the need to run so many VM's on your system?

Emanuel Elmo

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014

With Asus support yes I have and I am sorry to say they don't have much of a clue. When I told them that the motherboard has a BIOS switch, they would not believe me and thought that I tampered with the board and would not replace it for me. I had to jump through hoops to get them to believe me.

You can call and ask but I doubt that they will be of any help. Best bet un-fortunately is still the forums and see if anybody as done it yet and confirmed that it does indeed support 128GB

DevinOgden

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015

The VMs won't have too much load on them to be honest, at the moment 5 are running and CPU usage is hovering between 18 and 23 percent while my memory usage is about 80-85%. So while I'm sure enough VMs will be bogged down by the processor eventually the memory ceiling is quickly approaching.

I honestly haven't looked at VMware too closely, Windows hyper-v has been working for me so far but will look into it further now that you've brought it up.

Without going into great detail over a public forum, I have the need for certain processes on my PC to seem like they are coming from different IP addresses through VPNs. Utilizing a VM was the only way I could think of. Hopefully that didn't sound too sketchy... >.>

DevinOgden

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015

Ah perfect! Thank you very much!

Emanuel Elmo

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014

Not sketchy at all. Business is business. I thank you for at least feeding my curiosity a bit. Glad I was able to help a small bit but saddened that I was not able to help a lot.

Good luck on your quest sir :)

DevinOgden

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015

haha I appreciate the help definitely. I'll update the thread when/if Raja replies to me.