[SOLVED] 16gb ram reverts back to 8gb every restart.

Ahazuerus

Reputable
Nov 16, 2019
So I got this 8gbx2 DDR4 3200mhz AVEXIR Ram kit and installed it on my computer and upon installing it , it won't boot up. So I decided to take out the CMOS battery and clear it and it worked. The computer was finally able to use the 16gb ram and it runs smoothly.

So I put back the CMOS battery(while shut down) but everytime I restarted it or shut it down, it goes back to 8gb and the other 8gb is on "hardware reserve".

So I just decided to completely remove the CMOS battery so I can use the full 16gb.

Is that okay or is there something wrong with my system?

here is my build:
Ryzen 5 1600
MSI B350 Gaming pro (2 ram slots)
GTX1070
8x2 3200mhz DDR4 Avexir
Corsair CV 550 80+ bronze
kingston 480G SSD

I had previous problems before I updated my BIOS to latest like blue screen of death, random application crashes and random restarts. All seems fine after updating the BIOS tho except for this cmos related problem.

Solution
So I got this 8gbx2 DDR4 3200mhz AVEXIR Ram kit and installed it on my computer and upon installing it , it won't boot up. So I decided to take out the CMOS battery and clear it and it worked. The computer was finally able to use the 16gb ram and it runs smoothly.

So I put back the CMOS battery(while shut down) but everytime I restarted it or shut it down, it goes back to 8gb and the other 8gb is on "hardware reserve".

So I just decided to completely remove the CMOS battery so I can use the full 16gb.

here is my build:
Ryzen 5 1600
GTX1070
8x2 3200mhz DDR4 Avexir
kingston 480G SSD

I had previous problems before...

here is my build:
Ryzen 5 1600
GTX1070
8x2 3200mhz DDR4 Avexir
kingston 480G SSD

I had previous problems before I updated my BIOS to latest like blue screen of death, random application crashes and random restarts. All seems fine after updating the BIOS tho except for this cmos related problem.
What is exactly the reference of your AVEXIR RAM kit ?
On the QVL for you motherboard there are 6 different Avexir kits that should run at 3200 MHz.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B350M-GAMING-PRO#support-mem-12
Is your's one of them ?
First Gen Ryzen can be very finicky with RAM specifications

Reactions: Ahazuerus
Solution

Ahazuerus

Reputable
Nov 16, 2019

TRENDING THREADS