Dec 31, 2020
hi my system is:
mb: B450m-a asus
cpu: APU Ryzen 3400g
gpu: none - i use apu

i cant affort to buy dual channel rams
i want to know which one is better?
A: 1 * 16GB 2666MHz
B: 2 * 8GB 2666MHz (not dual channel! but with same information like latency and speed and etc)

my usage is gaming

Solution
If you buy 2 single sticks, of the exact same model, at the exact same time, you have a good chance of them running in dual-channel mode without issue.

The reason why many here shy away from saying 'yes it will work,' is that some popular RAM models have a relatively long retail lifespans and manufacturers are known to switch up the chips and ICs of these popular models but keep the exact same model number. So, if you have a RAM stick from say, 2 years ago and picked up the exact same model today, you may find that you have two very different sticks of RAM under the hood, even if the speed and timings are the same (and you would probably have issues trying to run them in dual-channel mode).

Endre

Reputable
hi my system is:
mb: B450m-a asus
cpu: APU Ryzen 3400g
gpu: none - i use apu

i cant affort to buy dual channel rams
i want to know which one is better?
A: 1 * 16GB 2666MHz
B: 2 * 8GB 2666MHz (not dual channel! but with same information like latency and speed and etc)

my usage is gaming

If you’ll buy the 2x 8GB memory kit, you’ll be able to run it in dual-channel mode.

Colif

Win 11 Master
well, dual channel is best for ryzen but mixing 2 sets together can lead to problems even if they same Sticks, speed, latency. Sets are made to work with each other. Individual sticks aren't guaranteed to work with another.

If you go this way, 16gb is better only less chance of errors.
2 x 8gb set is best option.

2 sticks might work fine but might not. No guarantees.

If you buy 2 single sticks, of the exact same model, at the exact same time, you have a good chance of them running in dual-channel mode without issue.

The reason why many here shy away from saying 'yes it will work,' is that some popular RAM models have a relatively long retail lifespans and manufacturers are known to switch up the chips and ICs of these popular models but keep the exact same model number. So, if you have a RAM stick from say, 2 years ago and picked up the exact same model today, you may find that you have two very different sticks of RAM under the hood, even if the speed and timings are the same (and you would probably have issues trying to run them in dual-channel mode).

Solution