Question 16gb ram vs 32gb ram Upgrade

pauly01

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2013
So I recently updated my laptop with a new ssd and cloned the old one without an issue. I bought a new 1tb nvme ssd as I want to continue using the laptop for a long time as old ssd running low on space. I got over 700gb space left in it even after cloning from the old ssd in my laptop to it. The only upgrade that I can make to my laptop is the ram. There is no more possible upgrade I can make to it as cpu cannot be done

Laptop is dell xps 15 9550 and been using it since late 2016 so its pretty old.

Processor is i5-6300hq and it still is good. Ram is 8gb.

Now, I always read years ago 32gb is almost never necessary. I been using 8gb ram ever since I got the laptop years ago and its fine... but sometimes lag. I do have a ton of chrome tabs on though. Right now its using like 6.2gb/7.9gb ram and I have about 20 chrome tabs opened... even though task manager shows 27 next to it. Why does it never show correct amount?

I play online poker and lot of tables and use software called Holdem manager two and starscaption/partycaption which are tracking programs.

pauly01

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2013
I bought 16gb of ram recently but didn't open the package yet as I wasn't sure if i should upgrade to 32gb ram or not. My machine supports up to 32gb max ram but again its an older system but it works fine. Now I asked fozzy who is in charge of that program Holdem manager support support and asked if I use holdem manager 3, would 16gb ram be good enough? He said 8gb ram is the absolute minimum, 16gb would be recommended but 32gb would be the best if you can. At the moment, i use holdem manager two which uses much less resources so 8gb ram is fine.

From what I read online, people say 8gb ram is more than enough for most ppl, and 16gb is more enough for people who has tons of chrome tabs and play video games... i don't play any video games, just poker online and use hem2/captions and possibly hem3 soon. I did read 32gb is good if you run VM and use data intensive programs etc. Fozzy tells me HEM3 is very intensive with ram and if you have a big database... which I do since i cloned my ssd...16gb ram might not be enough. I was shocked by this. He even said one guy had such a huge database, that his 32gb ram was slow on his computer etc but thats rare.

I assume majority of you have 8gb ram right... then 16gb ram? I see most laptops configured now is mainly 8gb ram. Now i could always upgrade my ram from 16gb go 32gb in the future easily, but would it be better to just upgrade it now so there won't be any possible upgrades left for ram?

I thought 16gb ram is more than enough as people said and nobody almost need 32gb ram... until fozzy mentioned hem3 is very ram intensive. He said like if you have big database and run hem3, 16gb might not be enough and it could use 20gb ram or more. I had thought why pay more for additional ram when its never needed... like imagine it only show max 12gb/15.8gb used at the most... then 32gb would not be necessary right? Then i thought... well if many years ago i bought a 500gb ssd or 1tb ssd as oppose to a 250gb ssd, well i would never had needed to buy a new one. Of course this was many many years ago where i couldnt imagine ppl use up to 250gb in a ssd.

I guess you can say that holdem manager three program is like data intensive then. Again i havent used it so i dont know if i need that much. But based on this, thoughts? I mean i know i can't upgrade anything else to it since its a laptop. Thanks.

pauly01

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2013
So here, would anyone regret buying too much RAM though even if they never use anywhere close to that? Its double the price, $126 compared to $63. I mean i can afford it... but at first I thought I read almost nobody uses 32gb ram... but the poker program i use... version 2... i use 8gb with some little lagging... so 16gb should fix it. But i might use that program version 3 later on... and that poker program site mentioned 16gb is recommended but get 32gb because it is very data intensive.