Question 16TB Seagate One Touch Hub unresponsive on File Explorer, but only on one computer ?

Feb 19, 2023
I posted this exact same thread on the tech support subreddit a week and a half ago and have gotten no replies. Hopefully someone here will see this and potentially be able to help me out!

At the end of December, I bought a 16 TB Seagate One Touch Hub from Amazon. Upon plugging it into my Windows 11 PC, the drive will work entirely as expected: File Explorer will see it, I can open it and view the contents, and I can transfer items to it. However, once I put my PC to sleep and wake it up again, the drive will all of a sudden become unresponsive. File Explorer will not show the capacity bar and will be stuck in a perpetual state of loading (the moving green bar in the address bar) while it attempts to see the drive. Double clicking on the drive in this state will cause File Explorer to become unresponsive and often crash/restart. Unplugging the drive will immediately stop the hanging issue (and if I had double clicked the drive, would briefly show the contents of the drive before closing the window) and plugging the drive back in will allow it to work, but the issue will appear again as soon as I put my computer to sleep or shut it off.

My previous Seagate Desktop HDD has never had this issue and still works perfectly fine. I've read the Amazon reviews for this particular product (the One Touch Hub) and found that this does appear to be an issue for this particular model. However, this is only the case for me on ONE device. When I attempt to replicate this issue on both my Windows 11 laptop and my MacBook Air, the drive will appear and read completely fine, even after a computer restart.

I've tried everything I can think of to potentially fix this issue to no avail: reformatting the drive (both NTFS and exFAT cause the issue), creating multiple partitions, trying different USB ports as well as different USB cables and power supplies (both of the Seagate drives use the same power supply), and even trying to update my PC's drivers. Chkdsk also finds no issues. I don't believe this issue would be accepted by Seagate as a warranty issue as the drive DOES work fine on other systems, and I don't know if Amazon would accept a return/exchange as I no longer have the original packaging.

I'm at a total loss on what to do. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: This issue has been resolved! My computer had been in the High Performance power mode for whatever reason (I don't remember it doing that) and wouldn't switch back to Balanced even after I changed it myself. After following some instructions online for how to disable that and keep it in Balanced, the hard drive now works exactly as expected coming out of a restart or sleep mode. The drive also sounds different (as in better) and my case fans even spin to the speed I expected them to spin at, rather than be oddly slow (not mentioned above as I felt it wasn't important at the time).

Last edited:
I posted this exact same thread on the tech support subreddit a week and a half ago and have gotten no replies. Hopefully someone here will see this and potentially be able to help me out!

At the end of December, I bought a 16 TB Seagate One Touch Hub from Amazon. Upon plugging it into my Windows 11 PC, the drive will work entirely as expected: File Explorer will see it, I can open it and view the contents, and I can transfer items to it. However, once I put my PC to sleep and wake it up again, the drive will all of a sudden become unresponsive. File Explorer will not show the capacity bar and will be stuck in a perpetual state of loading (the moving green bar in the address bar) while it attempts to see the drive. Double clicking on the drive in this state will cause File Explorer to become unresponsive and often crash/restart. Unplugging the drive will immediately stop the hanging issue (and if I had double clicked the drive, would briefly show the contents of the drive before closing the window) and plugging the drive back in will allow it to work, but the issue will appear again as soon as I put my computer to sleep or shut it off.

My previous Seagate Desktop HDD has never had this issue and still works perfectly fine. I've read the Amazon reviews for this particular product (the One Touch Hub) and found that this does appear to be an issue for this particular model. However, this is only the case for me on ONE device. When I attempt to replicate this issue on both my Windows 11 laptop and my MacBook Air, the drive will appear and read completely fine, even after a computer restart.

I've tried everything I can think of to potentially fix this issue to no avail: reformatting the drive (both NTFS and exFAT cause the issue), creating multiple partitions, trying different USB ports as well as different USB cables and power supplies (both of the Seagate drives use the same power supply), and even trying to update my PC's drivers. Chkdsk also finds no issues. I don't believe this issue would be accepted by Seagate as a warranty issue as the drive DOES work fine on other systems, and I don't know if Amazon would accept a return/exchange as I no longer have the original packaging.

I'm at a total loss on what to do. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Maybe.....device manager/usb controllers/power management

Feb 19, 2023
If you plug a flash drive into the front USB port, does this wake up your PC? Can you normally see the contents of the flash drive in File Explorer?

I'm just wondering if the drive behaves differently if the USB port remains powered in sleep mode.

Plugging a flash drive into the front port while in sleep mode does not wake the PC up. Upon waking the PC up myself after this, I am able to see everything on the flash drive in File Explorer, but the contents of the hard drive do not appear.

Maybe.....device manager/usb controllers/power management

Plugging the drive in adds an additional "Generic Superspeed USB Hub" and "Generic USB Hub". I believe these are the front ports on the drive, as the drive itself appears under "Disk drives".

Feb 19, 2023
Do your other systems behave the same way in regard to flash drives?

You might like to experiment with this:

How to disable Windows 10's 'USB selective suspend' setting:
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-prevent-windows-10-turning-usb-devices
Several things happened after this message, but the issue is actually fixed now! I found that my computer had actually put itself in high performance mode and would not let off of it. After I did some things to prevent it from doing that and keeping it in balanced mode, not only does the external hard drive now sound DIFFERENT (as in better), but it now always appears in File Explorer after restart/wakeup.

Side effect, but my case fans now spin as I expected them to instead of being WAY slower (didn't mention this initially as it wasn't relevant).