Question 17 11700k throttling with AIO

OCOGtune

Honorable
Jan 6, 2017
Been having increasing high temps with only CPU lately commonly above 80 hitting upper 90s during gaming. Normal temps at idle (40-50C). These temps are also in games not heavily utilizing the CPU (usage <45%). Not sure the problem as radiator seems to be functioning at least somewhat.

Specs
i7 11700k
Lian li 240 aio
rx6650 xt gpu
6 case fans + 2 rad fans
16 gb ram
z590-p mobo
lian li od 11 mini case

attempted solutions
tried remounting w new paste
tried moving potential blocking air bubbles

Pump makes some noise that wasnt present before. Is about 1.25 years old now with 5 month warranty. Pump says its running at the factory max rpms (3400). Temps also drop off after closing game

Is it possible i just need to change to a better aio? Reveiws everywhere say that its supposed to be a good rad, but its not holding up even on less demanding games.

OCOGtune

Honorable
Jan 6, 2017
Unfortunately no, old cooler doesnt fit and the CPU didnt come with one. I have read that as well, but the tdp cap is 105 and just playing simple games such as r6 it hits mid 90s occasionally almost 100. All stock clocks and voltages.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
The rig I use for gaming is in Lian Li o11D mini as well. I have an 11900K/3070 with 6 case fans and 2 cooler fans on a Castle 240. Stock clocks this one runs ~30 on idle or light workload ~40 and no higher than low 60's for gaming at 1440. Ambient here is varying as we come into the end of winter and beginning of spring, I expect they will be higher come summer, but haven't gotten those type of temps under any circumstances outside trying a cooler I knew wasn't powerful enough to check operation.

OCOGtune

Honorable
Jan 6, 2017
How have you mounted your AIO? Currently mine is side mounted with tubes at the top. Pump is at level with middle of the top fan. I have looked into this and while its not as efficient as top mounted I think that with my atx mobo size I wouldnt be able to top mount any rad.

Seems as though the pump must be failing to me, however this is my first aio rig and dont have any way to confirm it.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Vertically mounted with fans on intake blowing through the radiator. Tubes up, rad top higher than the pump.

I tend to agree with your assessment considering how hard it is to prove, if nothing else as based on the pump noise. So far as I am aware the only thing to do is throw money at it. I am not aware of a reliable way to check AIO function other than it working properly.

OCOGtune

Honorable
Jan 6, 2017
Thank you for the insight. I think what I will do is either RMA or just get a better performing AIO as with similar setups, even when new, my temps were higher than yours.

With you rad setup as intake, do you mean that your fans are mounted on the rear side of the case or are you actually pulling in the air? It seems detrimental to pull the air in to me, or am I mislead?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Gunked up.
I believe the company that made the Galahads for Lian Li made the same mistake as the company that made the MAG and MPG Coreliquids for Msi: used the wrong solder, and it had a nasty reaction with the other metals over time.
RMA it. They should give you one that doesn't do the same... or just buy another cooler.