~17% CPU Usage by "System" process, most likely due to a hardware problem: Substituting DVD Drive with SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 23, 2018
Hello,

I have a strange CPU usage problem that makes my laptop always so hot.
My "System" process is taking around 14-20% of CPU, constantly. The problem is present from Windows start, and I absolutely couldn't find any software solution for it. I dug many fora on the Internet to resolve this issue, but they mostly present a problem where the "System" process takes more than 50%, 30% or even 100%, so I figured that my problem defers from them.

Upon my searches, I found one with the exact same problem who in fact was able to solve it. The point is that this person manipulated their PC's hardware the same way I did. However, I didn't understand the fix.

Here is the forum that I believe has my answer. But I can't figure it out.

Last year, I removed my DVD drive from my laptop and replaced it with a 250GB SSD Drive, for OS to speed up my pc, but I'm not sure if my problem initiated with that hardware change.
Right now, I use two different disks in my laptop. The original 1 TB HDD for my own data and files, and the new SSD for OS. I installed my Windows 10 from the beginning on the SSD Drive. Right now, I have 140GB of empty space out of the 221GB capacity of my SSD.
I also faced some problems with my battery and decided to use my laptop without it, due to unexpected shutdowns and critically short life. Note that this person had the same problem and I quote from the translated page: Now the battery seems to last 3h again.

I would be very happy to seek help from anyone who had the same experience or has an explained solution for this issue.
--------
UPDATE:
I know that this issue is utterly irrelevant to other running applications. Because I have this problem even without running any 3rd party software (see picture below). I'm also completely sure about Windows Updates and my drivers being up-to-date (even confirmed with a few driver finder software).
--------

Here is some info you may need:
Model: ASUS ROG G56JK
CPU: Intel Core i7 4710HQ

Do you have 12 Chrome tabs open in the above example?

Best to troubleshoot mysterious/lingering CPU usage issues without any Chrome tabs open, make sure all WIndows updates are done/applied, etc...

I'd also shutdown Steam, assorted online file backup services (Google Drive, DropBox, OneDrive)...

(When you substituted an SSD in place of the DVD, did you clone your OS over to the SSD or newly reinstall Windows to it?)

Feb 23, 2018

I know I should have closed those applications (my many Chrome tabs, Steam, OneDrive, etc) but I already know they are utterly irrelevant. Because I have this problem even without running any 3rd party software. I'm also completely sure about Windows Updates and my drivers being up-to-date (even confirmed with a few driver finder software).

And in my SSD, I reinstalled Windows from the scratch.

Only time I've seen that much cpu usage (19-22%) was on a Dell laptop with only 4 GB of RAM, during Windows updates...; once all updates were done, usage settled down to 3-4%, about the best I could get the laptop down to.

Can you access the updates portion, and make sure it shows all updates applied, or, better yet, disable your internet connection, and see if usage drops. (clearly no updates will be actively loading with the connection to the internet down)

I'd still terminate all extraneous applications, *including Chrome tabs* that might be causing/attempting update/download/resync activity without your knowledge...

Just because you've been able to have multiple Chrome tabs open in the past does not mean a website your viewing is not now causing the activity....

Close them all to be sure...

Status
Not open for further replies.