1720-SMART Hard Drive detects imminent failure (Failing Attr: 05)

Poke-Artist

Reputable
Nov 10, 2014
Note: First thing hope this Is In the right Category. Sorry If It Is not.

Hello everyone I am looking Into trying to fix a Laptop of a friend of mine.

The Laptop Is a COMPAQ 610.

From the information I have been given, the laptop ran on Windows 7 and was given the option to install Windows 10 at that point the attempt to install was made and during that or after that, every start up went straight to a recovery attempt and system scan and then restarted itself into a black screen.

First thing I did was take out the hard drive and attached it to my computer through what I believe the appropriate cables and have managed to recover as many photos and videos as I could through a file recovery program, I then reinserted the Hard drive and turned on the Latpop.

When I turn on the Laptop the screen loads up a black screen with the following text

"1720-SMART Hard Drive detects imminent failure (Failing Attr: 05)"

"Please back up the contents of the hard drive and run HDD Self Test in F10 Setup"

I have the option to go to the ROM Based Setup through F10 and to Ignore this through F1.

When I attempt the HDD Self Test, It give me and estimation time of 63 mins and soon after its "Begin scan" it stops with "Error: Unknown failure"

I have tried multiple things to try and fix the computer, as I am not sure what Is the cause of this and how to fix It, I have tried.

• Reinstalling a fresh Installation of Windows 7 and Windows 10.

Going through each recovery option through a Windows 7 and 10 Installation Disc.

On the "Where do you want to Install Windows" I have one partition labelled "Disk 0 Partition 1"

It is 111.8 GB with 111.7 Free Space adn the Type Is System, An error below this states
"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The disk may fail soon. If other hard disks are available, install Windows to another location."

I (probably shouldn't have) ignored that message and clicked next, the installation begun.

Copying Windows files (Complete)
Expanding Windows files (Failed around 59%) with an error messge "Windows cannot access the installation sources. Verify that the installation sources are accessible, and restart the installation."

At this point I have no idea what to do and I don't want to risk It and go deeper and make matters worse, If anyone has any idea of fixes or solutions to these problems they will greatly be appreciated, I understand this Is a long read but I tried Including as much Information as possible to get a better answer suited to the problem.

If you have any questions or need more Information please let me know and I will try to reply back as soon as possible with as much feedback as I can provide.

Thank you very much for your time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Computer specs

Cooler Master Elite 334U - ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Black INTEL Core i7
3770K Processor ASUS P8Z77-V LX2 Motherboard 16GB 1600Mhz DDR3 Patriot Viper
Xtreme Division 2 Performance RAM Asus R9 280X DirectCU II 3GB GDDR5 Dual EVGA
Supernova 750W Semi Modular 80+ Bronze Power Supply

Solution

Hello again, @Matt!

I'm glad to hear that you managed to backup the most important data beforehand! That's great news!
If you are using the same laptop, you won't need to purchase a new Windows...
Hello there, @Poke-Artist!

I'm afraid that your friend's laptop HDD has failed. Unfortunately, if it fails the tests, you most probably won't be able to make the HDD work properly again. Moreover, putting additional stress on the drive would definitely cause more harm than good, especially to the data. The best thing you can do is what @ss202sl mentioned and replace the failed mobile drive. However, backing up the data while you still can is essential, otherwise your friend will have to say goodbye to it, especially if you have already overwritten it with the Windows OS re-installation.

Hope this was helpful. Let us know if you have more questions!
SuperSoph_WD

Poke-Artist

Reputable
Nov 10, 2014

Thank you @SuperSoph_WD

As far as I have been told. the computer is free to wiped and have a fresh instalation as long as all the Images and Videos have been backed up. Which I managed to do.

What would happen about installing a new Windows OS on a new drive. Would It have to repurchased?

Do you know what kind of hard drive to purchase and where to purchase one from? (I won't be doing this you see, so I would like to get them as much informstion as possible so they can have a laptop running as soon as possible.)

Thanks again

Matt

Hello again, @Matt!

I'm glad to hear that you managed to backup the most important data beforehand! That's great news!
If you are using the same laptop, you won't need to purchase a new Windows OS installation. The operating system's product key/activation code is tied to the motherboard of the computer, whereas the hard drive is just a carrier for the system files.
You can find laptop HDDs in any tech-related online retailer/seller or a local shop, the most important thing to know is that the form factor needs to be 2.5" in order to fit in the laptop HDD bay. Unfortunately, I cannot recommend you any specific brand or model due to the fact that I'm an official representative of an HDD manufacturer. However, I'd strongly advise you to get in touch with the laptop manufacturer's customer support and ask them if there's anything specific that you need to be aware of, before purchasing a replacement drive for the laptop.

Hope I was helpful & Best of luck! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution

TRENDING THREADS