[SOLVED] 1800x + Asus C6H x370 EPS Cables and OC

Imad__Aman

Honorable
Jun 7, 2017
Hi Guys

1800x + Asus C6H x370. Stock wraith max cooler

So my Motherboard has a 8 pin + 4 pin connector. Dont have a 4 pin additional EPS with my Seasonic m12ii 620

Have been running stock 3.6 for the last 2 years or so, stable with only 1 8 PIN eps

Been trying to do basic OC now but its crashing with system running but no display

Tried via BIOS and Ryzen master - no dice. even a 3.7 isnt stable

Pretty sure its due to CPU connectors - Though my query was do you guys think if I disable the onboard 4 pin, it would help ?

From what i know the second 4 pin is only needed for extreme OC. and 3.9-4.0 should be achievable with single 8 PIN

Any directions would be appreciated. The 1800x is beginning to show its age now. Slight bottle neck on games. cant keep up with my 5700xt :/

Thanks

Solution
It would be my recommendation to upgrade the PSU should you decide to Overclock and for those who say the 4pin is not necessary then I disagree with experience of that fact.

Seasonic are generally an excellent supplier however your current PSU is inadequate for your system. With any Bronze rated PSU something suffers or is of poor quality regarding voltage regulation. It's a shame Seasonic provide such units ( to be competitive I suppose).
Many don't realize the importance of a good quality and efficient Power Supply and buy based on budget.

Your PSU is a bare minimum for your system (as is) however, it will not cope under load if you Overclock.
I recommend the Seasoniic Focus Gold 750W fully modular unit as a minimum upgrade and...
The four pin connection on the MB should be populated if you Overclock.
I have the same CPU and MB combo with a 4.2GHz OC. The 4pin is there to provide the juice required when CPU draws MAX TDP.
Also DO NOT overclock with Ryzen master. Stick with the Bios.

Ditch the Wraith cooler if you want to Overclock to 4.2GHz which would require an AIO twin rad to cope thermally.
Also go here for impressions and some settings: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?92489-New-Ryzen-7-1800X-build-impressions

What have you been using to test for stability?
Is your Bios and chipset up to date?

Last edited:

Imad__Aman

Honorable
Jun 7, 2017
So this is me first time attempting CO
Was trying pretty basic stress test :| Furmark CPU burner

Updated both right now - Was not on the latest but release date was Dec 2019

So meaning to update to an 280 AIO but was trying to figure if its worth the upgrade.

On the 4 pin EPS - my PSU only has one 8 pin... guess ill have to upgrade the PSU as well

Thanks for the info

It would be my recommendation to upgrade the PSU should you decide to Overclock and for those who say the 4pin is not necessary then I disagree with experience of that fact.

Seasonic are generally an excellent supplier however your current PSU is inadequate for your system. With any Bronze rated PSU something suffers or is of poor quality regarding voltage regulation. It's a shame Seasonic provide such units ( to be competitive I suppose).
Many don't realize the importance of a good quality and efficient Power Supply and buy based on budget.

Your PSU is a bare minimum for your system (as is) however, it will not cope under load if you Overclock.
I recommend the Seasoniic Focus Gold 750W fully modular unit as a minimum upgrade and should come with the 4+4Pin cable you need using an 8pin split in two.

Download AIDA64 for a decent stress test that will not overstress your system.
All aspects of hardware in your system can be stressed using Aida64 to test for the stability of your CPU, FPU,Cache, GPU, RAM and disks. Run the tests for 10-20mins whilst in attendance to observe your thermals and voltages under load.
Stop the test if temps reach 80C+ and report the results.

Solution