18650 charging circuit/ power bank question

Kruck

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2007
Hi all - this seemed like the best forum, but welcome a gentle redirect if there is a better place to ask this.

If I have a low-power device that runs off USB, can I insert a power bank between the actual USB source and the device and have it operate as an uninterruptible power supply?

Basic questions probably boil down to (a) whether battery management boards generally allow pass-through while charging, and (b) what is the impact of continuously charging and draining an 18650 battery at the same time, for a long time?

Actual use case: Wyze cam, if it loses power does not save the current recording (mp4 file is not closed, and cannot be recovered based on the various approaches I found online, and Wyze tech support also says there is no way to recover the video). Someone hit-and-ran our power pole, so we lost the video that would have shown who. I'm wondering if I can use a cheap 'lipstick' (single battery) power bank between the power source and cam to keep recording going long enough to finish saving the current recording period (by my math, an 18650 would keep the cam going for way longer than I'd need to just finish an active recording period).

Camera is normally on 24x7 and I'm assuming charging rate into the battery is sufficient that the camera would not deplete the battery.

Would that work? Any risks?

Ralston18

Titan
Doubt that a common "lipstick" power bank would be viable. Likely just downright dangerous.

Here is an Amazon link that may help:

https://www.amazon.com/Voltaic-Systems-Always-External-Battery/dp/B00XZ7YU4M

Not familiar with the product per se but the link provides a lot of terminology that may prove useful.

Read the reviews & comments. Visit the manufacturer's website to read the User Guide/Manual, FAQs, and their forums (if any)

Pay careful attention to the fine print and notes.

Passthrough is key.

Another concern -from the link:

"This is ideal for applications where the device is drawing little to no power. "

"Little or no power" needs to be clearly quantified.