[SOLVED] 18mbs connection) usb wifi dongle or ethernet. Thanks

Mar 24, 2019
Im trying to decide should i buy an ethernet cable or a usb wifi dongle as my network speed is only 18mb/s (countryside) and my phone and tablet get around 12 download and 5 upload if that means anything. Im on a budget and ethernet is double the price so I only want to get it if there is a decently big difference, if I can get a near enough gaming experience on my 450 dollar gaming pc with my usb wifi dongle as i would with the ethernet i would be happy.
Specs if needee
Ryzen 3200g
B450
8gb (2x4) 3000mhz
450w psu

Solution
Those tiny USB dongle maybe cheap but they are garbage. They have tiny antenna and are low power. They are the worst possible choice for desktop. They almost are inside the case and the metal will block even more signal from those antenna.

In any case when you talk online games nothing compare to ethernet. Games do not need high speed they use well under 1mbps What games need is consistent delay between packets. Wifi because it can get interference will get latency spikes. You will see this as lag and warping in games.

Do not be tempted by cheap ethernet cables. Those flat or thin cables or cable not made form pure copper are not certified cables. They might work if you are lucky when you first get them but they...

kanewolf

Titan
Im trying to decide should i buy an ethernet cable or a usb wifi dongle as my network speed is only 18mb/s (countryside) and my phone and tablet get around 12 download and 5 upload if that means anything. Im on a budget and ethernet is double the price so I only want to get it if there is a decently big difference, if I can get a near enough gaming experience on my 450 dollar gaming pc with my usb wifi dongle as i would with the ethernet i would be happy.
Specs if needee
Ryzen 3200g
B450
8gb (2x4) 3000mhz
450w psu
The biggest difference is consistency. Wired will be the same day-in and day-out. WIFI can't match that.

Mar 24, 2019
Specs if needee
Ryzen 3200g
B450
8gb (2x4) 3000mhz
450w psu

Those tiny USB dongle maybe cheap but they are garbage. They have tiny antenna and are low power. They are the worst possible choice for desktop. They almost are inside the case and the metal will block even more signal from those antenna.

In any case when you talk online games nothing compare to ethernet. Games do not need high speed they use well under 1mbps What games need is consistent delay between packets. Wifi because it can get interference will get latency spikes. You will see this as lag and warping in games.

Do not be tempted by cheap ethernet cables. Those flat or thin cables or cable not made form pure copper are not certified cables. They might work if you are lucky when you first get them but they tend to fail very quickly.

Buy a cat5e cable that is pure copper with wire size 22-24

Solution
Mar 24, 2019

Do not be tempted by cheap ethernet cables. Those flat or thin cables or cable not made form pure copper are not certified cables. They might work if you are lucky when you first get them but they tend to fail very quickly.

Buy a cat5e cable that is pure copper with wire size 22-24
How often and how much of lag do you think is likely? Does my slow internet speeds make wifi usb less or more desiresble or no difference?